• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rear drive shaft

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
So will any explorer rear shaft work if I shorten it and put front flanges on it
Use a double-cardan Explorer front driveshaft (the shaft will need to be shortened approx 2" if you have the M5OD, FM146 or A4LD trans in your '89).

You'll also need a front yoke off a 1354 t-case to put on the rear of yours, and a rear flange to mate it up with your rear axle flange.

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
This is what 4x4junkie is saying: (DIY Cheep Rear D shaft) Also as for the rear flange you will have to find a flange that matches your rear axel. (7.5 or 8.8) On the front you need to beware that their is a fine spline and a coarse spline slip yoke. Only the coarse spline yoke will work with this shaft that I know of. And they come in different lengths. The longer slip yoke can be used for a shaft 31 1/4 or 3" longer. I am not sure if the shorter slip yoke can be used with the FM145 trans. I just made 4 of these shafts this past week.:icon_thumby: Shafts did not have to be cut shorter.
Not sure if my posted link will work? http://broncoii.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=2b9b7663fffe6f7b0539c9b030863562&topic=926.msg7932#msg7932
You will find this front driveshaft on most broncos II's, rangers, and explorers with
a Dana 35 front axel. On the earlier Dana 35's some will not have this shaft.

Last edited:

ksum25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 fuel injected sucide machine
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 88 BII that had the CV type driveshaft. I installed a 2" block in the rear and the driveshaft blew out just taking it around the block. I went to the junk yard and pulled a driveshaft off a 85 or so bronco II along with the yoke off the transfercase and it bolted up with no problems.

Attachments

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'm going to guess your driveshaft was on it's way out to begin with

ksum25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 fuel injected sucide machine
Transmission
Automatic
Well the CV driveshaft held up but the boots are what went out causing a huge mess. Soon as I hit the first dip in the road I felt a pop and upon inspection the boots were torn from getting pinched. Being that it happend on the road I did not want to get stranded while out in the middle of nowhere so I went with a more common driveshaft just in case if I had to get parts from someone on the trail. I would rather change a u-joint than a CV boot.

85rx7_93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a rough country 4" with 33s and stock driveshafts are perfectly fine

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Do the cheap shaft build from the link above. Its what I di after my CV busted, then my double carden fell apart.

With 4" of lift:

tomisb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
You have two double cardan joints on your shaft? Wouldn't that make it flop around like a wet pig?

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Do the cheap shaft build from the link above. Its what I di after my CV busted, then my double carden fell apart.

With 4" of lift:
The shaft that you are using is not the same shaft used in the "cheap shaft build". The carden joint is completely removed and only 2 u-joints is needed, one on each end.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Try reading my post, not just look at the pretty pictures. The one on the left is the cv one. The one on the right is the double carden one I said went out on me. Thats why I built the cheapy rear shaft which is not pictured.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals