• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shelf-It Overhead Organizer Shelf

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Does anyone have one or had one in the past? How did it work for you? Looking to get one to put in my 88 Bronco 2 to keep my radios up and out of the way but in easy reach and view.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
If you should get one of these and need a small cb, I will be selling a few (new-in-box) units. I need to bring them in from the garage and can post up the info later.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I thought about putting one of those in when I first got my Gen I single cab...had to back off on that idea due to my height...it would have added a bit of a visual obstruction (not much, but enough).

If it works for you they do add a bit of easy access storage space...I always felt a bit uncomfortable reaching over to the upper storage shelf on the passenger side for my cassettes...and the glove box was not an easy place to get to while driving...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
With my bronco 2 and the way the seats sit, I don't think it will pose a visual issue for me, and having the radios and gear up on that shelf within easy view would be nice yet out of the way of normal driving and passenger area.

I just mentioned last night on our local county facebook page about a local Ham radio club and sounds like we may be starting one up here very soon so I'd love to get this shelf system setup and radios figured out. I've always wanted to get my Ham license but just the odd learning curve with radio frequencies has always kept me away as I can't remember the dang stuff needed to pass the test LOL.

Right now I'm kind of stuck...physically and bank account wise for a while on buying stuff but this spring when it thaws out so I can get my bronco 2 moving and get the new hubs installed I'll be buying that shelf unit. Once I get it and such I'll try and do some photos of the install, doesn't look too hard, pull visors off, install shelf, reinstall visors under shelf LOL.

I have an auxiliary fuse block I plan on installing to run the radios and possibly some auxiliary lights and such in the future, plus an extra 12V outlet or a couple extras. This may very well become a mobile Amateur Radio rig as well as a daily driver :). I love this bronco 2 and I want to put it together the way I will get the most use out of if for multiple uses not just to drive to and from work.

I have a small CB radio but I'm not sure as its working properly, so I may look into getting a different one if I can get one for the right price, don't necessarily need new, just one that actually works LOL.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
An extended cab or BII would be different than a regular cab...I couldn't lean my seats back in the standard cab so my head was much closer to the headliner than I liked...although I don't think I ever actually hit my head it was always a concern with those short cabs...

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
I've used these things for years, in all kinds of rigs. Perfect place to stow the coyote rifle.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I've used these things for years, in all kinds of rigs. Perfect place to stow the coyote rifle.
Not worried about storing guns, just need and want storage overhead for easy access and visibility of radios. I'm trying to get a group together in town who are Ham Radio operators in hopes to get a club going and get my Ham license and actually be able to use the radios I have other than paper weights and expensive police/fire/rescue scanners LOL.

There isn't that much in the way of bracing up there and thought this shelf would be a great easy way to keep the radios within easy reach but up out of the way of everyday driving and passengers.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I ordered the Shelf-It today from Jegs. They had one in Tan for $100. Hope to get it soon. I'll try and remember to get some pictures of the install process and finished look...not sure it would be too difficult. Doesn't look like removing the sun visors would be that difficult...then again nothing looks difficult when I start, yet usually turns into an all day project HAHA...

I am hoping that the shelf-it visor mounts will allow me to install different visors from a newer vehicle, like from an explorer or newer ranger...the current visors don't stay put.

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
Most of the older visors just slide off of the bracket. Find good brackets and put your fav visors on. Add the free end brackets to add a nice finish touch.

Rich

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Was going to attempt the install of the shelf this weekend and of course I get stuck having to work as usual. So once again plans of doing anything of use are on hold.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Don't ya just hate it when "Work" gets in this way of life? Waiting to see how the Shelf-It works out for you.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Don't ya just hate it when "Work" gets in this way of life? Waiting to see how the Shelf-It works out for you.
Makes for a better paycheck, but cuts into personal time to get my own stuff done LOL.

Going over to pick a part to see about getting some different sun visors tomorrow so maybe next weekend I can get to work on installing the shelf...however, I would really like to try and get my radio stuff mounted in that shelf first prior to installing it, otherwise I'm not exactly sure how I'd get in there to do so after its installed in the vehicle.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Bit of an update, started working on the shelf-it off and on the past couple weeks...only to realize its not for a bronco 2, its for a full size bronco. So my plans have once again been shot to hell since apparently they DO NOT make one of these for the bronco 2. I will see if I can just modify the shelf-it by cutting it down and screwing it or riveting it together and make it fit....heck if that works I'd be fine with it I'll just use some fingernail polish or paint and color the rivets or screws to match the shelf-it tan color. I don't mind having to modify the shelf but damn it I seriously wish companies actually measured stuff before assuming. Seriously how would you think a full size bronco accessory would fit into a bronco 2, or ranger LOL.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Dang EH!

I would measure twice and cut once...allow for some install tabs if possible...a bit of extra metal on each side that can be bent and used to secure the sides to the attachment points.

I've done something similar with modifying larger items to fit smaller places. Fortunately, I've not had to use one off items that once cut need to have some other method of securing.

I used to have a little container of "things" I'd purchased to secure modified items that my first Ranger required regularly...I think I still have a few of them somewhere...never know when L brackets will come in handy...:)

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
The shelf-it has mounting brackets on the ends, I was thinking of cutting it in the middle and overlapping it till it fits then riveting or otherwise reattaching it. That way It would maintain the original mounting holes and brackets.

I'll see how things go in the next few weeks as to how I get it to work LOL.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals