• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 Build Thread: 5.0 for 3.slow

shr3dd3r 09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.9L Inline 4 Cylinder Cummins 4BT
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 Inches
Tire Size
33X11.5X16 (285/75R16)
I am doing the 5.0 swap into my 2000 ranger 4x4 and am mostly done. I appreciate all the info you have posted it has been a help as I did not buy an explorer/mountaineer to do the swap, I have gathered all the pieces and done the work. In hindsight I should have just bought an explorer/mountaineer. Oh well. Anyway...

Question for you. The last thing I have to do is the battery wiring harness. I don't have the one from the ranger (I sold the motor, tranny, transfer case and all the wiring). So I grabbed one from a 97 mountaineer, it didn't cost me anything. The problem is, it is not exactly what I need and honestly I am not sure exactly what I need. Any info here you can provide is GREATLY appreciated! Did you use the one from the ranger? If not, what did you use? Did you have to do anything to it to get it to work?

Thanks so much for your time,
Clay
The 97 mountaineer battery harness should work. Except there is one plug under the brake master cylinder that doesn't match up and will need to be spliced. The other connections... to the starter and alternator... should be fine.

frogman

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The connector under the master cylinder, is that the solenoid wire and the 2 wires to the AC compressor? Are there any other connections off of that? Do you happen to have the wiring diagram for it so I know what pins are what? :)

The alternator wires in through the main engine harness does it not? The truck is not in my garage or I would just go look. I think I have all the wiring done except this last thing. Everything else just plugged in like it belonged there.

Again, thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Baba ganush

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I used the charging harness from the 5.0 but I modified it to plug into the ranger (under master cylinder). What I did was splice the ranger charging harness plug (from the 3.0) onto the 5.0 charging harness. Worked perfectly.

Deadeye512xr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Drive like ya mean it
How exactly did you jump together the DTR and where? I have a 1998 ford ranger 3.0 regular cab that I dropped a 1997 ford explorer 5.0 and M5ODR2 transmission in with a 4406 transfer case.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals