• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 long travel help with springs

Mrgoodcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok guys I just spent a couple hours going through threads about coil springs. I found a lot on coils for SAS but I'm building 4.5" extended d35 beams and want to use coils instead of coilover just for the simplicity and cost factor. So what I got from the threads is that EB or jeep coils is the way to go. I want something like 4.5"-5.5" lift. Truck is stock at this point with exception of minor lift, tires, exhaust and a 1 piece driveshaft swap. Nothing that effects sprung weight too much. Will be adding prerunner bumper and fiberglass. Any insight on springs would be great and greatly appreciated. Btw I contacted camburg about their 5.5" eibach springs but I was told eibach discontinued them.

Desertrunner33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Waste of time. If you're doing extended beams and not going to a coilover then it's a waste. If you can extend the brackets then you're a good enough fabricator to build a little mini engine cage and put a coilover in there. Don't tell me you can't afford an FOA coilover

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This is one of those times when you're going to have to think about what exactly are you going to do with your truck;
daily driver.
off-road only.
50/50.
90/10.
What type of off-roading are you going to do? mud, trails, rocks, desert running, overlanding, a combination.....
Then you need to know the weight of each corner of your truck. You can get that by spending a few minutes at a commercial weigh scale. Around here there is one in an industrial area that is self serve.
I'm a cheap person and race a short course style with groomed course with some jumps. I ended up using f250 big block springs and cut one coil off. If I extended the beams I probably wouldn't have cut the coil, but don't really know until it's together and tested.
Good luck.

Mrgoodcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replys I appreciate the insight. Always floored that's basically what I have in mind right now going to dump or weigh station. But because most sellers don't list spring load rate I have no way of knowing how the truck will sit. Now desertrunner33. Trust me if I could afford it i would go coilover but I'm on a strict budget were basically everything was calculated in advance now I already have an 86 ranger that will be full cage and coilovered, linked and the works. This truck is daily driver but I do go camping out in Mexico about 5-6 times a year and want my truck to get through some of the rough stuff without having to slow to a crawl.

Mrgoodcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll post some pictures as soon as I can

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
From what I have played with on springs in my ranger most of the lift springs designed for rangers are not really long travel( well not compared to my Rubicon) I have used both Skyjacker 6" springs and currently running James Duff 5.5" . the Duffs ride better over all but are not what I would consider a long travel spring.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals