• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

v8 swap/ driveshaft, other considerations

capri1979

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i have a 86 mustang 5.0l setup. iwant to use as much as possible in my 92 ext. cab 2.3l 5 spd. i think i will just swap to a stang aod. do i need to modify the stock driveshaft? the engine only has maybe 200 horse so i want to use as much existing as possible. what about the water pump, power steering and alt?
i saw the tech section and maybe i am just stupid. i had read the 2.3 turbo swap early and that seemed less vague. will the stock 2.3l stuff work for a stock style conversion?

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
Huh. You're doing a swap with the exact same year and body style as mine!! If you want, go through my build thread under "RVB's Under Construction" under " My little iron ranger {part 2}."

I pretty much go through all the aspects of the swap, start to finish. It should answer most of your questions.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
i have a 86 mustang 5.0l setup. iwant to use as much as possible in my 92 ext. cab 2.3l 5 spd. i think i will just swap to a stang aod. do i need to modify the stock driveshaft? the engine only has maybe 200 horse so i want to use as much existing as possible. what about the water pump, power steering and alt?
i saw the tech section and maybe i am just stupid. i had read the 2.3 turbo swap early and that seemed less vague. will the stock 2.3l stuff work for a stock style conversion?
You wn't know what to do with the driveshaft (if anything) until you have the V8 and transmission in place. All you'll reuse off the 2.3 is maybe the alternator.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Your power steering should work, too. Or use the Mustang pump if you don't want to seperate it from the bracket.

I used my staock driveshaft, but it's a Supercab. I simply hooked up the driveshaft while mocking up the egine/trans, so I bolted the motor mounts where it would work, saving me some cash.

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
The alternator won't work. The mounting bolts go side to side vs. the forward/back direction of the mustang. The starter will work, the power steering pump will work, that's pretty much it.

capri1979

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
cool, thanks for the replies, i will check that thread!

t_dickie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You will need to change the yoke on your driveshaft. I don't know about the length, that'd be something you'll figure out once the engine & transmission are in the truck.

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
You will need to change the yoke on your driveshaft. I don't know about the length, that'd be something you'll figure out once the engine & transmission are in the truck.
No you don't. Same size yoke.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Funny that Ford has kept the same yoke from a '66' C-4 to the T-5 and it still interchanges with some of the Rangers yokes. I will tell you that there are some real odd balls out there.
Dave

t_dickie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No you don't. Same size yoke.
Maybe I worded that wrong.

On the AOD in my 84 302 swap, the driveshaft slides into the transmission. On my 92, it bolts up to the transmission.

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ah, was it 4X4? Forgot about that.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Funny that Ford has kept the same yoke from a '66' C-4 to the T-5 and it still interchanges with some of the Rangers yokes. I will tell you that there are some real odd balls out there.
Dave
Even funnier that they also used the same speedo drive gears on all their transmissions from the late 50's til the switch to electric speedometers.

capri1979

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
this thing has to much friggin rust on it for any swap. the bed is shot, had to do a fuel pump this week, the front mounting point on the bad are shot, the rad support is shot. to bad its a good running truck.

spooner1129

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
my build

I am actually getting ready to start my 302 build but its a bit different,I got a motor 5.0l trans 4spd and t case electric shift from an 89 f150 that I'm going to put into my 05 3.0 powered ranger. I haven't really found anyone that make mounts for the 05 or driveshafts for that swap so I'm getting custom driveshafts made and I'm gunaa try and find some motor mounts that will work or can easily be modified ( I work at a junkyard so its easy for me to find stuff) when I start the build I'm going to start a thread about my (gold power ranger build)

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You're going to be real disappointed with that donor. For starters, that motor has less power than your current motor. Also, that intake won't fit even with a 3" body lift, its just way too tall. Your best option for a swap is a 5.0 from an explorer. Wiring is closest of all donors, motor mounts should bolt in place, making all the hardware (minus the driveshafts) a bolt in swap...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals