• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where is the evaporative emissions canister located?

rdsrds123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I give up. This is a 2007 4 cylinder. I have engine code po455 and found the gas cap completely off the filler neck, being held against the truck body with the filler door. I put it back on, and the check engine light remains on, still. I have a quarter tank of gas. I bought a new cap. What kind of joke is this?

I'd like to check the valves on the evap canister but can't find it. Anyone know where it is?

I have visions of someone jamming a rod in the filler neck and destroying the gasket that goes between the tank and neck, causing a no pressure situation, just because they can.. Wats of fun.

Now that I need it, I can't remember how to create pressure in the tank. I would like to fill the tank up and what? Place it in the sun and heat it up, so when I remove the new cap I will release pressure, telling that the tank is good? How do I get natural pressure in the tank this time of year?

So much fun. Thanks so much...:icon_rofl:

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Since you found the loose cap, did you clear the code to see if it comes back?

rdsrds123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes I did. Same code. I was wondering if I had two different codes here, but not so.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder

rdsrds123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually, I did not clear the code. I thought it would go away by itself when I fixed the problem. How do I clear a code?

rdsrds123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Can I clear the po455 code without a scanner? Don't have one. I would need to convince Advance Auto to do it.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The evaporative canister is above the spare tire (at least on an 02 and an 08). You can try to clear the code by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes (have a cool drink and leave it off an hour). That is what I would try.

However, a 455 may be one of those codes you cannot clear with normal scanner or by disconnecting the battery. I believe (and could be totally screwed up about this) that it is one of those codes that have to clear themselves and it can take up to 10 or 15 drive cycles. Maybe you can google the code and find out. I seem to remember some guy bitching that it took a week of daily driving to get rid of his after he fixed the problem. And another guy chiming in that he couldn't get the evap/smog check done because of the code and he couldn't have it cleared.

Last edited:

rdsrds123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You were right. That fixed the problem. thanks! Only left the neg cable off for five minutes. This is the first vehicle I've ever owned with OBD computer. I suppose it is good and bad. Actually, it is an amazing development. Vehicles today are so complex.:icon_confused:

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Good to know!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals