• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

$2000 swap?

1pokeyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Slow go 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
So to the Guru's:

I have a 2000 ranger 3.0. If I can get this 2000 Exploder 5.0 AWD for $2,000 complete and running with 140k miles is it worth it? I'd use the axles, wheels and entire drivetrain. Or should I piece it together over time?...

Dan B.

January 2012 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm a big fan of the "donor" vehicle swap method. The donor will likely have all the wiring, hoses and lines needed for the entire swap. When piecing together from "a motor a guy sold me" and a "tranny someone gave me", etc can make for some frustrated searching and head scratching.

I did mine via the donor vehicle method and was complete and running in a matter of weeks (worked on it when time allowed). I had three friends start various driveline swaps from pieces...two of them never got done. The last was so cobbled together that it was not even safe for the road.

Spdrcer34

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Check Craigslist.....I picked up a wrecked 5.0L Explorer for $450. Complete with Leather Interior, and all....

I'm in the process of doing a full swap....dash, console, engine, trans.....

Parking 2 vehicles next to each other and performing the swap is WAY easier than multiple trips to the junkyard and getting nickel and dimed over every little piece that is required.

Ryan

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I agree^

2000$ is steep for what I would pay for a full donor. Usually, you can find a wrecked one, with a good drivetrain for around 500$ from what I've seen on Craigslist etc.

Are you plannig on using the AWD?

1pokeyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Slow go 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
At first just to get the thing running as soon as possible I would use the AWD. The ranger is a daily driver, so I can't have it torn down too long. I would like to put in a selectible Hi/Lo xfer case tho.
I have been checking CL, and this is the first 2000 5.0 sploder I've found under $5,000. I found a 2003, but it had the 4.0 and he only wanted $700 complete. If I'm going to do the swap it might as well be for the big guns. I wish I knew someone who can bid on insurance vehicle that have been totaled out....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals