• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HELP! 5.0 into 99 4.0

demers350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just dropped my 5.0 into my ranger only problem im having is that the plug from the power distribution to engine harness is to short??? should I have taken the whole harness from the fire wall of the explorer and used all of that instead of the ranger harness?

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just dropped my 5.0 into my ranger only problem im having is that the plug from the power distribution to engine harness is to short??? should I have taken the whole harness from the fire wall of the explorer and used all of that instead of the ranger harness?
No easy answer and really only two options:

#1, Extend either the chassis harness or the engine harness to get the pair of 42 pin connectors close enough to connect up.

#2, Cut a complete 42 pin connector with as much extra wire as possible from a wreck in a breakers yard and build and extension between the chassis harness and engine harness -- has the added benefit of providing an easy area to tackle the handful of wiring differences between the two harnesses.

You make half as many slices, keep all the original wire sizes and color codes, but gain the added bulk of an additional 42 pin connector. Additionally, all the work can be done on a bench, not while stretched over the engine bay.

People can argue either way but uninsulated wire spices with adhesive lined shrink tubing is likely the easiest and fastest way to do the spices and still get very good corrosion protection. For what it's worth, you'll find similar joints in the OEM wiring.

If you do choose to solder the joints, I still highly recommend the adhesive lined shrink tubing, it really does a great job on the joints.

demers350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
All right just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong option #2 sounds much better to me thanks for the help! After 2 years of not having my truck I'm really looking forward to having it finally up and running again!!

demers350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have you done this swap? Cuz I'm still stuck with the 42 pin connector if I connect the connector its still not going to match pin to pin with the ranger harness I'm not new to wiring do I just need to move some wires in the connector body? Ill probably understand better tomorrow I'm finally getting my hands on some wiring diagrams

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What year Explorer harness did you use? The '98-2000' Explorers match pin for pin to those same year Rangers. Always best to check yours for sure. Been going thru the wiring myself and just got this from SVT ( RangerSVT) of pin out and function.
Dave

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

demers350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The explorer I have is a 99 and thats what thought also I will definitely double check today I took the old engine harness connector from my 4.0 and the chassis harness from the 5.0 and was going to use those to make my extender and thats when I noticed some pins don't match

demers350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mac thanks for the pin chart the extra wires I was seeing were just for options like the ride control should be starting it tomorrow

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I should have mentioned that also, some pins are missing from the Ranger connector that are in the Explorer one but as you found out, they are not needed with the Ranger. Only other connector you might have to worry about is the round Ranger (8) pin with the A/C wiring and the starter connections. All depends on what you are using for the alt/starter harness to the extend of changes required.
Dave

demers350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is that the connector right by the battery box? Because there is a connector right there thats female on the explorer harness and female on the ranger side? I tried cranking it over today before I left and it wont crank and has no volts to the starter control wire I didn't get to dig to deep into it before i had to leave.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep, located right by the left rear of battery. Ranger one is round (C184) and Explorer (C-125) is rectanglular, has a black ground, a grey/white going to the A/C clutch solenoid and then the green/white that goes to starter.
Dave
Here is the wiring for the differences between these two in line connectors. As said above, only need the three mentioned no matter which connector you use.
C184 - 2000 Ranger
321 (GY/WH) A/C compressor clutch
57 (BK) ground
113 (YE/LB) Starter relay to starter solenoid
570 (BK/WH) Ground for A/C cutoff pressure switch
441 (RD/YE) A/C cycling switch to A/C pressure cutoff switch

C125 - 2001 5.0L
57 (BK) ground
321 (GY/WH) A/C compressor clutch
253 (DG/WH) Oil pressure sending switch - pin 8
258 (WH/PK) Engine oil temp/low level switch (Not used for Ranger)
441 (RD/YE) A/C cycling switch to A/C pressure cutoff switch
570 (BK/WH) Ground for A/C cutoff pressure switch.
254 (DG/WH) Engine oil temp/low level switch (Not used for Ranger) - pin 11

Last edited:

demers350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Alright so got the engine in and running now the next step is swapping the T- case my friend has an F-150 around a 2000 not sure exactly what year but it has the 5.4 with a manual t-case like I want. Just not sure if that is the BW4406 case?

demers350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So had 5.0 in truck running good then randomly died and wont restart any ideas??

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The tcase is the 4406. The random dying most likely is pats. Did you swap the pats components in, and are you using the donor key, or the ranger key? Most likely the system will need reprogramming...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals