• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AC clutch stays engaged

AntTim04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
New clutch with new compressor? Now you have me wondering if you have a hydrostatic block on the high side translation; the high pressure is so high to compressor can't turn or the compressor is locked up.
I usually put a video on YouTube and copy the link here it's easier, takes up less bandwidth
I wouldn't expect the air gap to be large on a new clutch but that's easy to check.

https://youtu.be/6vc_JeUnNec

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Does it actually start cooling? Clutch is slipping bad that is unbelievable on a new compressor??? Can you turn the inner part of a clutch by hand? that is connected to the crankshaft of the compressor if you can turn it by hand it's not locked up. I've not spent a whole lot of time with these particular compressors but think you might be able to turn it with a ratchet. But the compressor should turn relatively easy with the clutch disengaged.
A super high head pressure or complete blockage of the discharge line from the compressor or even to the may cause extremely high head pressure so much that the compressor clutch slips,. We need to get gauges on it,

Last edited:

AntTim04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Does it actually start cooling? Clutch is slipping bad that is unbelievable on a new compressor??? Can you turn the inner part of a clutch by hand? that is connected to the crankshaft of the compressor if you can turn it by hand it's not locked up. I've not spent a whole lot of time with these particular compressors but think you might be able to turn it with a ratchet. But the compressor should turn relatively easy with the clutch disengaged.
A super high head pressure or complete blockage of the discharge line from the compressor or even to the may cause extremely high head pressure so much that the compressor clutch slips,. We need to get gauges on it,
was not able to turn it by hand but with a ratchet yes but it felt like it was grinding a little bit. I did moot have to force it with the wrench but it did feel like itwas grinding. I assumeit should be smooth. and yes it does blow cold air just the clutch starts to smoke and the compressor gets hot even for those 15 seconds of the ac being on

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Well it's pretty obvious what you need to do, or have done,. Before you rip it out, I would suggest one thing, Hotwire the clutch directly from the battery,

Check the voltage of the wires coming to the clutch from the truck you want a eleminate any voltage problems

I don't know if it can be saved by taking it off putting oil in it and turn it with hands, wrenches, and electric drills
was not able to turn it by hand but with a ratchet yes but it felt like it was grinding a little bit. I did moot have to force it with the wrench but it did feel like itwas grinding. I assumeit should be smooth. and yes it does blow cold air just the clutch starts to smoke and the compressor gets hot even for those 15 seconds of the ac being on

AntTim04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well it's pretty obvious what you need to do, or have done,. Before you rip it out, I would suggest one thing, Hotwire the clutch directly from the battery,

Check the voltage of the wires coming to the clutch from the truck you want a eleminate any voltage problems

I don't know if it can be saved by taking it off putting oil in it and turn it with hands, wrenches, and electric drills
yea I thought you might say that I'll check the voltages if their good and the ground is good I'll try adding some oil just to try it and go from there I'll let you know how it works. thanks for the help

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
We have saved compressors by removing the refrigerant charge and bypassing the controls. on this type compressor I just don't know, it's got what they call a wobble plate and 4/6 pistons in a horizontal configuration I don't know how it came this way or if it was run without oil, but the original one was doing the same thing right?

AntTim04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
We have saved compressors by removing the refrigerant charge and bypassing the controls. on this type compressor I just don't know, it's got what they call a wobble plate and 4/6 pistons in a horizontal configuration I don't know how it came this way or if it was run without oil, but the original one was doing the same thing right?
yes I still have the old one and I believe that is completely locked up. to check if it is locked up I just put the 8mm wrench on the screw for the ac clutch and try to turn it correct??? also if I go too pull a part to get another compressor what vehicles and years could I get a compressor from?

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
You don't have a replacement warranty on that new one? Question, you do know the oil goes in a compressor that if it's put only in the accumulator it won't get to the compressor until starts running. But new compressors do come with oil as far as I know. Salvage yards have a list they know what fits.
yes I still have the old one and I believe that is completely locked up. to check if it is locked up I just put the 8mm wrench on the screw for the ac clutch and try to turn it correct??? also if I go too pull a part to get another compressor what vehicles and years could I get a compressor from?

AntTim04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You don't have a replacement warranty on that new one? Question, you do know the oil goes in a compressor that if it's put only in the accumulator it won't get to the compressor until starts running. But new compressors do come with oil as far as I know. Salvage yards have a list they know what fits.
yes i do know they do come pre oiled but i wasn't sure if mine did so i told the company working on my truckto check it but I don't know if they did or not.. as far as the warranty goes they, advanced auto, is giving me the run around because i on bought the compressor and then the next day bought a accumulator and orfice tube and was told the warranty I had to get all three at the same time but I'm going up there in person and see what they say this upcoming week but just getting ready for option B

Ewgoetz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 96 ranger 4cyl manual. my ac clutch stays engaged only when in max ac or just ac. recently changed the ac compressor with clutch, dryer, orfice tube, and clutch cycle switch( attached to the dryer).
if i keep it running you can start to smell a burning rubber smell but the belt looks fine. when the truck is running in max ac I disconnected the clutch sensor and the clutch disengages. i just had it completely drained and recharged. is this new compressor locked up?
This sounds like it’s running ok.
If the ac clutch cycles a lot than there is low Freon, in which the clutch gets burnt up fast and you will have a clutch burning smell.
If it’s rarely cycling that’s fine.
If your getting a clutch smell while it’s engaged, the system may be overfilled with Freon, causing extra resistance to the pull system making the clutch slip. Or like some asked about the oil, may be hydro locking the compressor.
Or the ground connection for the clutch is bad and the clutch isn’t locking up to its full potential when power is being applied to it.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals