• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to steal my 95 B2300

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like you have a very well trained guard/attack dog
Haaa, haaaaa. Yes. He is the best. He does not make any noises (no barking or growling). People don't know he is around at all. He only speaks when we tell him to.

RatDog8o8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm designing my security/alarm system.

The times I will be using this system are when I am DEEP in back country, and the truck is parked for days or a week plus, while I am backpacking.

So, it's an isolated spot, nobody's watching except the astronauts, the NAS satellites, and Google. You see this old 95 B2300 with a WOOD camper shell on it, and for some inexplicable reason, you want it!

You have a big pickup that you're driving, your buddy/cousin is with you, you have tools and chains. You're gonna take the truck with you, one way or another.

What do you do? Pretend you're the guy.

Have fun, and steal my truck!
Got a question:
An alarm system to notify whom? If you're away from the vehicle, which you would be while backpacking, will you be close enough for an alarm system...even one that would transmit a signal to you, not just an audible alarm...to do you any good? Deep in "the back country", an audible wouldn't do much good at all except piss off the wildlife. Chances are, if it's that isolated an area, a radio-tranmitted alarm notification would have limited signal travel....and then, how long would it take for anyone to find and get to your truck to prevent this theft?

If they want it bad enough, it's gone. If they happen upon it at the start of your trek, so much the better for them. Patience on their part would pay off here. Sit and watch (or check back over the course of several hours) to see how long it sits. I'd say that by the second day of isolation, all you'd have left is tire-tracks and memories. No amount of boots, chains, or any other attached anti-theft stuff is going to stop it. Just a mild delay. See it first, watch it, then possibly have time to go back and get a winch-equipped trailer to make it easy.

Even if someone should chance to catch these theives in the act, the first thing they're going to say is - "Joe here lost his keys while backpacking, and I'm his cousin; we're just here to get the truck back home." If they act cool and calm, they can get away with it. Nobody will question them if they appear to be doing just what they say they're doing. A park ranger or the like might want some kind of proof of ownership, but that's just part of the gamble they're taking. As you stated.....nobody's watching it except the Eye in the Sky.

I'd have to agree that the best thing you could do is try to camo it somehow, and hope that it's there when you return. Unless someone is following you with the intent to steal this truck at any opportune moment, there won't be anyone around to see you hiding it, and you could take a bit of time to conceal it with care. Not just toss a camo-net on it......do that first, then go away from it a ways and see if you can see it. If you can tell, then it's not hidden enough. Taking a few minutes more to make the concealment work right might......might.......save you a long walk back to civilization.

bttlscrs00x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
We have a minuteman tow truck. If I wanted it, it would be gone. There's really nothing you can do to guarantee no one will touch/take your truck short of putting flame shooters under it that are rigged to shock sensors.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The last two posts are exactly why my first post wasnt serious, The answer should have been obvious before the question was even ask. If you park your rig at a trail head and leave it, nothing could stop me from stealing the junk out of you truck, off your truck or the whole truck and quick. All this crap about rigging it to kill or mame is bs, when someone dies your a premeditated murderer so thats all moot.
With years of experience my friends and I up here in Alaska have however discovered a low cost, low tech device to combat this problem and it works amazing. Its called a $200 beater with a heater 4wd subaru wagon, they go through about anything and have a ton of space for gear. No tinted windows and nothing left inside but a few french fries and the last bite of a quarter pounder on the floor.
Welcome to the future I give the the perverbial invisible car.:icon_thumby:

PS. Your statement that nobody likes me is pretty broad considering we have 30,000 members, especially coming from a noob as yourself. Yes I can consider a join date of 2009 noob considering I was a member for years even before the site crash of 2007. Have a great day.:icon_thumby:

QuickPaws

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey.. I know I'm new here, and I didn't see this mentioned in any of the previous posts.. but.. There is a system out for catalytic converter theft protection that utilizes some damn nifty technology to stop theft... mainly the cables and what not. ( found this after mine got stolen off my (now gone) 4Runner. )

Here's a link. http://www.cat-lock.com/catlock2.php

Can't cut the cables with cutters or grinders, aircraft grade aluminum... it's tough stuff. Why not order up some of that cabling and tie it to a tree? ( you said be inventive.. right? ... I'm just way outside the box X) )

RatDog8o8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey.. I know I'm new here, and I didn't see this mentioned in any of the previous posts.. but.. There is a system out for catalytic converter theft protection that utilizes some damn nifty technology to stop theft... mainly the cables and what not. ( found this after mine got stolen off my (now gone) 4Runner. )

Here's a link. http://www.cat-lock.com/catlock2.php

Can't cut the cables with cutters or grinders, aircraft grade aluminum... it's tough stuff. Why not order up some of that cabling and tie it to a tree? ( you said be inventive.. right? ... I'm just way outside the box X) )
According to the site, it's not aluminum, but aircraft-quality steel cable, 1/4" thick. But even that can be cut with a torch. If they want this truck bad enough, and they see that (#1) it's been sitting a while because they've kept tabs on it, and (#2) the cable.....when they come back to get it, just bring a small-bottle size torch kit and poof.....not only do they have a free truck but a good quantity of really tough cable.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
PS. Your statement that nobody likes me is pretty broad considering we have 30,000 members, especially coming from a noob as yourself.
I like you.

What are we talking about?

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I like you.

What are we talking about?
Well thanks man, your knowledge and helpfullness here is a blessing for all members. You may be alot younger than I but I have learned alot from your posts especially in the engine managment areas, I am kinda old school. Sorry for the hijack OP.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I would take a torch and just cut off any parts I wanted...... I really wouldn't care about your truck just the junk I could use...... If i had to have it no matter what I'd jack it up, put it on rollers and winch it onto a tilt flat bed.... disconect the battery from underneath and pull it to my garage to do as I pleased with.

Frank

QuickPaws

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
According to the site, it's not aluminum, but aircraft-quality steel cable, 1/4" thick. But even that can be cut with a torch. If they want this truck bad enough, and they see that (#1) it's been sitting a while because they've kept tabs on it, and (#2) the cable.....when they come back to get it, just bring a small-bottle size torch kit and poof.....not only do they have a free truck but a good quantity of really tough cable.
Bah. it was a thought. Keeps cat converters in place. I thought the framework was made of aluminum... I might've misread that though.

I guess though, no matter what - If someone wants something bad enough, they are gonna leave with it; I don't know if there's anything you could do to keep tabs on it. LoJack, maybe?

--EDIT--

I actually meant to link catclamp. They are different products, CatClamp is the real one.
http://www.catclamp.com/index.php

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, locks keep honest people honest. To everyone else, all of your security features are just time killers.

If I really really want to, I can go to Walmart, walk up to any car I want and drive off with it in just a few minutes. And as long as I act like I belong in that car, nobody is going to question it, unless the real owner comes along.

I regularly leave the chevy unlocked at walmart, mostly because the contents of the bed are worth more in scrap (which it is) than everything in the cab. I walk up to it, keys still in my pocket, hop in, and drive off. Nobody gives me a second looks because I act like I own the truck.

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I would break out both of the door windows, wrap a chain around theroof and drag it on its side until it gets stuck between a couple trees and tears the roof off. After that I would put a hole in the gas tank and light the bitch on fire and leave.

Probably not really, but it sounds like fun.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would break out both of the door windows, wrap a chain around theroof and drag it on its side until it gets stuck between a couple trees and tears the roof off. After that I would put a hole in the gas tank and light the bitch on fire and leave.

Probably not really, but it sounds like fun.
Dang at least I was willing to put an honest effort into stealing his junk after I blew his truck up. :D

auto117584

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The last two posts are exactly why my first post wasnt serious, The answer should have been obvious before the question was even ask. If you park your rig at a trail head and leave it, nothing could stop me from stealing the junk out of you truck, off your truck or the whole truck and quick. All this crap about rigging it to kill or mame is bs, when someone dies your a premeditated murderer so thats all moot.
With years of experience my friends and I up here in Alaska have however discovered a low cost, low tech device to combat this problem and it works amazing. Its called a $200 beater with a heater 4wd subaru wagon, they go through about anything and have a ton of space for gear. No tinted windows and nothing left inside but a few french fries and the last bite of a quarter pounder on the floor.
Welcome to the future I give the the perverbial invisible car.:icon_thumby:

PS. Your statement that nobody likes me is pretty broad considering we have 30,000 members, especially coming from a noob as yourself. Yes I can consider a join date of 2009 noob considering I was a member for years even before the site crash of 2007. Have a great day.:icon_thumby:
Dude, i was totally kidding around! I might have had a beer, might have been feeling magnanimous or something. Sorry if it was offensive.

This is a great thread - a real eye opener. I plan to travel the west coast, California, Oregon Washington, and BC, and do a bunch of backpacking and camping. Leaving about March 14th (2012), which is two weeks and two days from now. I'm going to rig up a couple switches incase someone tries to start it. One for the fuel pump, and one for the clutch safety switch. Even if it's pushed, it won't run.

And maybe I'll try parking in "safer" spots, whatever that illusion is.

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Put a lifesize doll in the drivers seat with motion censored flood lights...and get a few airsoft claymores and place them around the truck.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&gs_nf=1&tok=aJ8xQEqw0tfvXrCMEzWjUQ&cp=11&gs_id=16&xhr=t&q=airsoft+claymore&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1600&bih=785&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11014617857607609209&sa=X&ei=bBpMT_CqGsrp0QHskIWGDg&sqi=2&ved=0CFsQ8wIwAA

If that doesn't scare them off i don't know what will ( well real mines might..but you might have a problem with either the truck or the person stealing the truck when you get back)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals