Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Suspension & Armor > Off-Road 4x4 Suspensions

Notices

Old 08-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
compleckz

Vehicle Year: 97
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Parking Lot Pimping
compleckz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to compleckz
Default Common SAS questions

NOTE: Originally posted by Piney Mar 17 2005

Quote:
--------------------------

Disclaimer: A solid axle swap is not a bolt-in operation. There is design and fabrication required, so experience with steering and suspension geometry is a must. Make sure you have a plan on how all aspects of the swap will be accomplished before you get yourself in too deep.
What axle?

Well that depends... do you want to put in a fullwidth axle, or one that has about the same width as the Ranger? Some of the axles listed below are already at ranger width, and others are easier to set up fullwidth. The axle must have the differential on the driver's side to match the front driveshaft drop on Ford transfer cases. Passenger side drops have been accomplished on Rangers, but only with custom transfer case setups and extensive exhaust modifications.

D30: I need help making this complete guys.
95 or later XJ (Jeep Cherokee)
-4 link suspension with tracbar
-Coils
-High pinion
-2-297 U-joints

?? - 94 TJ
-Low pinion
-5-260 U-joints
-Leaf sprung

ZJ (Grand Cherokee) have CV joints and likely are no stronger than SLA IFS parts.
D44:

71-77 Early Bronco (previous years had a D30)
-Low pinion
-Weaker U-joints (5-260)
-pre-76 had drum brakes, but can be converted to disks.

71-77 F100/F150
-Fullwidth
-High pinion
-73+ has stronger 5-297 u-joint
-76+ has disk brakes

78-79 Fullsize Bronco / F150
-Fullwidth
-High pinion
-78-79 is easier to narrow, but coil buckets must be spaced from frame to run fullwidth
-5-297 u-joints

76-79 F250
-Fullwidth
-Leaf sprung
-5-297 u-joints
-76-77 are low pinion, 78-79 are high pinion
-Heavy duty axletubes and knuckles

80-91 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
-Low pinion
-Leaf sprung
-Drive flanges
-83-85 had vacuum CAD
-5-297 u-joints

Here is a very extensive information source for all 44's. Mr. N
D60:
?????

Springs/Suspension:

Due to the low-hanging engine crossmember on TTB trucks, a minimum of about 6" lift height will be required to clear the differential pumpkin when the driverside tire stuffs. Some trimming of the engine crossmember is helpful as well.

Leafs (PMed rerard for more info) - On 98+ rangers the easiest route is to use leaf springs. Because these trucks have no coil buckets on the frame to begin with, leaf springs are an attractive method. A crossmember will need to be fabricated with spring hangers for the front, and shackles will need to be attached to the frame.

Coils - There's a good chance your axle will already be set up for coils and radius arms. This is the most popular setup because the factory Ranger coil buckets can be used. Radius arms and radius arm brackets should be taken from the donor truck. A tracbar is required to provide lateral control of the axle. An easy option is an adjustable tracbar for an Early Bronco, available from Wildhorses4x4 or Superlift. The best location for the tracbar bracket is on the outside of the frame, behind the steering box. This bracket is usually made from scratch and welded to the frame, however the factory tracbar bracket on a 78-79 fullsize Bronco can be used as a starting point. This bracket needs to be stout, and be well gusseted to the frame to prevent cracking. The radius arm brackets will interfere with the existing transmission crossmember, so a custom crossmember will need to be fabricated.

TTB coils are far too stiff for use with a solid axle. Early Bronco coils are a good choice, and there are several brands that are very soft. Generally, an EB coil in the factory Ranger bucket and using the factory lower spring perch from the donor axle will produce 2-3" more lift than the stated lift height for an EB (a 3.5" lift EB coil will produce about 6" lift on a SAS'd Ranger).

Steering:

On 98+ Rangers, the factory rack and pinion steering must be replaced with a traditional gearbox.

Generally you will not want to re-use the factory steering linkage from the donor truck. In most cases these will not provide optimal draglink angle and length on a Ranger. The tierod ends on these are also non-serviceable, and probably starting to wear out after 25+ years.

The most popular aftermarket steering setup is a custom assembly of 1-ton Chevy tierod ends and threaded DOM tubing. Because the 1-ton tierod ends have a larger stud diameter, the steering knuckles on the Dana 44 can be reamed from the top so that the tierod can be mounted on top of the steering arm, raising it several inches away from danger, and also reducing draglink angles. The Ranger pitman arm taper will also need to be enlarged to accept the larger tierod end.

Other setups include heim joints (rod ends) along with a variety of high-steer options. Here is a good writeup on using the Chevy TRE's and here is a writeup on various other setups.

97 Ext. Cab, front: sj brackets/8"coils/ext. rad arms, rear: 6" sj leaves + belltechs, 33's, 4.56 gears, D35/lock-right/tacked 760x's/c-clip elim, 31-spl 8.8/ptrx no-slip/discs/cowl snorkel..

Last edited by compleckz; 09-18-2007 at 08:23 PM.
compleckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 20B2FF503DCF74 Expires: September 28, 2018
Old 08-24-2007, 01:41 AM   #2
TRUNK_MONKEY

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler
TRUNK_MONKEY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to TRUNK_MONKEY
Default some helpful info to add

late model XJ's(cherokees) have a high pinion d30 with coils
YJ's(leaf sprung wrangler) have high pinion d30(i think all are,but not 100% sure)
all Yj and TJ 4 cylinders are 410 gears
late XJ's and TJ's(coil sprung wranglers) all share the larger u joints in the axle shafts.
look into the Jeep aftermarket for track bar products,lots of options and prolly will be affordable.
all tj's,yj's,xj's and wj/zj's(grand cherokee) are d30's as best i can tell.
one of the wj or zj has a lot better brake caliper (dual piston) for brake improvements.
there is HUGE aftermarket support for the d30--alloy axle shafts to u joints and a large selection of lockers as well,from ARB to the ever popular detroit locker.lots of diff cover armor as well.and plenty of improved tie rod assemblies as well.

http://staythetrail.org/
TRUNK_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:47 AM   #3
PARKINGLOT

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Grand Cherokee
I use this vehicle for: haulin' groceries & wheelin'
PARKINGLOT is on a distinguished road

XJ's, ZJ's, and TJ's, had coil sprung, HP axles. The YJ may have had some HP axles, but I'm pretty sure most were LP axles, and all were leaf sprung....

Switched to the dark side - 95 ZJ 5.2 with some stuff.....
"I don't break shit, I just test it's durablity"
Formerly GONRACIN, Member #166, Join date 30-July 04
PARKINGLOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
TRUNK_MONKEY

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler
TRUNK_MONKEY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to TRUNK_MONKEY

i have a tj,and worked on a few--they are stock with low pinions.not sure on the years but late xjs have all high pinion,thinking 96 or 97 and till the end of the series,but not totally sure of the year.
my d30 came from a yj-it is HPd30.i have asked around and the consensus is all(not 100% sure) yj's are HP's.

http://staythetrail.org/
TRUNK_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:25 PM   #5
PARKINGLOT

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Grand Cherokee
I use this vehicle for: haulin' groceries & wheelin'
PARKINGLOT is on a distinguished road

hell...I've been asking around local jeep guys for free/cheap XJ/ZJ D30's b/c they are HP, I could have had an axle by now if I knew YJ axles were HP too...

Switched to the dark side - 95 ZJ 5.2 with some stuff.....
"I don't break shit, I just test it's durablity"
Formerly GONRACIN, Member #166, Join date 30-July 04

Last edited by PARKINGLOT; 08-24-2007 at 02:27 PM.
PARKINGLOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:26 AM   #6
butch cassidy

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
butch cassidy is on a distinguished road
Default jeep d30

just a note to everyone: all zj's have a low pinion d30. not all are cv equipted. if it comes from a v8 zj it will be cv'd if its from a 4.0 it MAY be non cv. not all 4.o's were non-cv. i am big into zj and rangers si if anyone needs more info just ask.
butch cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #7
wahlstrom1
J-man HD Mech

wahlstrom1 is a jewel in the roughwahlstrom1 is a jewel in the roughwahlstrom1 is a jewel in the roughwahlstrom1 is a jewel in the rough

The 'limited' versions got the cv's the rest got regular ujoints for no real reason, this coming from the 20 yr's experienced journeyman automotive turned HD mechanic I work with.

-andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle M. View Post
LOL, wheres the loony bin, cuz we be crazay

Last edited by wahlstrom1; 02-02-2008 at 02:06 PM.
wahlstrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:36 AM   #8
Roger

Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Ford
Roger is on a distinguished road

My 95 4.0 ZJ Laredo is low pinion D30 with U joints... My 90 XJ is high pinion, but has the vacuum disconnect.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:01 PM   #9
MakerOfBeast

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Ford
I use this vehicle for: wheeling and Keeping the earth from floting away
MakerOfBeast is on a distinguished road

i got my hp 30 out of a 86 wagoner and all of the wagoners have cv's in the front instead of u-joints
MakerOfBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
94 lngbd

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger xlt long bed
I use this vehicle for: hauling ,camping,towing ,fun
94 lngbd will become famous soon enough94 lngbd will become famous soon enough

what frontend was in the 86-88 Jeep comanche trucks. Im thinking about a 2wd/4wd conversion using a comanche front end being that I have both an 86 with 4.10 gears 2.8 V-6 & a 88 w/3.88? 4.0L inline 6. Would either front end have the same diff location . There not here at my home so I cant just run out & look.
94 lngbd is offline   Reply With Quote