• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Pricing and Online Build Released

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Right, it's mentioned as an alternative to the whipple that they're primarily advertising.
Basically they are saying they will violate any factory warranty any which way you will desire. If they can order it they will slap it on for you. :icon_thumby:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
It just proves that some people still desire the lightning over the raptor.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Just did a build and price.

No manual option? Wtf.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

engine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
245 75 R16
Have new Rangers ever been cheap?

I found the original sticker for my 2002 XLT in the glove compartment. With equipment discount it was still over 25K. Using the "inflation calculator" the 2019 equivalent is 35K! Granted, my Ranger has about everything available at the time on it, but the newer ones won't have the crazy jump seats and the radios will be better than my one disc player.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Basically they are saying they will violate any factory warranty any which way you will desire. If they can order it they will slap it on for you. :icon_thumby:
What the fine print says:

Whipple (or Roush) will cover your drive train for the same 36 months/60k miles that Ford does; with the caveat that you have it a. Professionally installed; b. don't race it (if you have 1/4 mile slips from local drags, kiss your warranty good bye, but then Ford would do the same.) c. don't abuse it (kinda grey)

Anything non drive train related e.g. power mirror failure is still covered under Ford's warranty.

Similar for lift kit - if correctly (professionally) installed and not abused, problem with drive train will be covered by lift manufacturer. Problem with e.g. air conditioning is to be covered under Ford's warranty. Lift's get much more subjective when you add 37s or larger tire (F-150 here). Mall crawl and they'll cover you; go mud bogging, break an axle and you're probably paying for it out of pocket under abuse i.e. something the truck couldn't do stock.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not happy with these numbers.

Out of curiosity, I went to Toyota, and built a silver extended cab Toyota 4x4 for $27,805
But does your Toyota for $27.8k have the V-6? The Ecoboost has to be compared to the V-6 Taco.

So, Ford isn't going after the historic Ranger market i.e. cheapest vehicle on lot, with this truck; well, at least not 1st year. Given they will probably sell all they can make, why build something with less margin?

Not saying I like either the current prices, or the fact that Ford.ca doesn't even have the build & price for Ranger, just that I can understand where Ford is coming from.

For me, F-150 is non starter - 83.5" width mirrors folded versus 7' garage door* says new truck would have to sit on driveway through hail storms. (With mirror extended, F-150 won't even fit through an 8' door).

*Weather seal takes 1" off the 7', even perfect alignment doesn't work.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

Whipple (or Roush) will cover your drive train for the same 36 months/60k miles that Ford does; with the caveat that you have it a. Professionally installed; b. don't race it (if you have 1/4 mile slips from local drags, kiss your warranty good bye, but then Ford would do the same.) c. don't abuse it (kinda grey)

Anything non drive train related e.g. power mirror failure is still covered under Ford's warranty.

Similar for lift kit - if correctly (professionally) installed and not abused, problem with drive train will be covered by lift manufacturer. Problem with e.g. air conditioning is to be covered under Ford's warranty. Lift's get much more subjective when you add 37s or larger tire (F-150 here). Mall crawl and they'll cover you; go mud bogging, break an axle and you're probably paying for it out of pocket under abuse i.e. something the truck couldn't do stock.
What lift kit have you seen that comes with a warranty covering damage to the drive train?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

For the gap in coverage, Whipple offers an (extra cost) optional 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty to cover components that Ford would not if damage was caused as a result of the supercharger.
Yes, very gray. And typically with aftermarket warranties they try to get out of as much as they can.

But does your Toyota for $27.8k have the V-6? The Ecoboost has to be compared to the V-6 Taco.
Ecoboost is comparable to the high winding Prius V6? :icon_rofl:

From what I have read the Toyota 3.6 sounds a lot like the old 3.0.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Y

From what I have read the Toyota 3.6 sounds a lot like the old 3.0.
It is.

My grandfather has a 4-door Taco with the 3.6 and auto trans. With the plastic bed box and similar wheel base I feel like that truck has to be either similar to or lower in weight than my all-steel 87, but man it feels like a lot less power.

When I towed my parts Ranger home a few years ago I barely noticed it back there, so the weight of two Rangers.

Last summer there was a big family kerfuffle that ended with my grandfather's truck being left on the far side of the state and my uncle's truck coming home in it's place. I ended up playing transporter and running the F250 out and bringing the Toyota home with a generator and my dad's camping gear in the bed. That thing was a dog when loaded with only a few hundred pounds in the bed.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
That it has the same 5.0 is what concerns me.

They slap a blower and tune on a 380hp NA 5.0 and bump it to 725. That is almost double the stock hp. It is not made like an Ecoboost, it is not made to make that kind of power or really even boost in general from the factory. Then you can get into other things like cooling system before you get to other things like the driveline. It will make more heat, it will suck more gas too.

IMO as someone who does tow I think it is playing with fire and I would fully expect to get burned doing it. And then you get to play he said she said trying to get an aftermarket company to shell out money for their added cost warranty.

No thank you. :icon_thumby:

For doing typical Lightning type stuff go for it. :icon_thumby:

I don't think people bought Lightnings for their towing capabilities. It's as sport truck built for speed, not towing a pontoon boat. I rarely see a Lightning pulling anything
more than a John boat.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What lift kit have you seen that comes with a warranty covering damage to the drive train?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I'm quoting Rough Country
https://www.roughcountry.com/warranty-guard/

Items covered by this Limited Warranty are:

The following engine components - all internal lubricated engine parts, timing belt, pulleys and covers, engine mounts harmonics balancer, water and oil pump, manifolds, turbocharger housing, internal parts and vanes. Cases, housings, engine block and cylinder heads are only covered if damaged by the failure of an internal lubricated part;
If the Vehicle has front-wheel drive - All internal lubricated parts, propeller shafts, axle shafts, front hub bearings, and constant velocity joints;
If the Vehicle has rear-wheel drive - all internal lubricated parts, supports and U-joints, propeller shafts, bearings, and axle shafts.
If the Vehicle has an automatic transmission - all internal lubricated transmission parts, vacuum modulator, and torque converter.
If the Vehicle has a manual transmission - all internal lubricated transmission parts, provided, however, this Limited Warranty does not include any manual clutch, throw-out bearings, pilot bearing or bushing, slave cylinders pressure plate, or clutch master.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't think people bought Lightnings for their towing capabilities. It's as sport truck built for speed, not towing a pontoon boat. I rarely see a Lightning pulling anything
more than a John boat.
Thus why I have no interest. Whatever a truck can do for street performance a car can do better. If I am going to have a go fast playtoy it will be a car.

I'm quoting Rough Country
https://www.roughcountry.com/warranty-guard/

Items covered by this Limited Warranty are:

The following engine components - all internal lubricated engine parts, timing belt, pulleys and covers, engine mounts harmonics balancer, water and oil pump, manifolds, turbocharger housing, internal parts and vanes. Cases, housings, engine block and cylinder heads are only covered if damaged by the failure of an internal lubricated part;
If the Vehicle has front-wheel drive - All internal lubricated parts, propeller shafts, axle shafts, front hub bearings, and constant velocity joints;
If the Vehicle has rear-wheel drive - all internal lubricated parts, supports and U-joints, propeller shafts, bearings, and axle shafts.
If the Vehicle has an automatic transmission - all internal lubricated transmission parts, vacuum modulator, and torque converter.
If the Vehicle has a manual transmission - all internal lubricated transmission parts, provided, however, this Limited Warranty does not include any manual clutch, throw-out bearings, pilot bearing or bushing, slave cylinders pressure plate, or clutch master.
I have never heard of them paying for a hole punched in a differential housing by their crappy lift brackets though.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
This surprises you how?

150 hasn’t had it since 03. SD since ‘11.
150s had them up thru 08. I know cause i test drove a 4.2/5sp 08 when i bought my colorado.

The new canyrado has one.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
150s had them up thru 08. I know cause i test drove a 4.2/5sp 08 when i bought my colorado.

The new canyrado has one.
F150's lost the 5 speed behind V8's after '97, 4wd V6's after '03, and 2wd V6's after '08. So yeah - there were a few past '03, but only if you wanted a base model 2wd V6.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals