• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help, truck won't turn over

Broncodude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hay all, recently my 84 BII had been taking turns not turning over, in other words sometimes it would but now it won't at all. I have cleaned every connection from the battery, solonoid, relay thing on firewall, and starter. I get 12 volts on both terminal sides of the solonoid when the key is pushed to start. I thought It was the starter since it was an original so I took it to get it tested and it worked fine. I decided to get a new starter just to be safe cause the rest of the engine is only a year old so I installed the new starter and nothing, not even a bump. I'm getting a complete ground or good connection thru the starter cable. Got any ideas on what to replace or try next ??

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The battery should be around 12.8 volts fully charged. sometimes the battery terminals look clean lightly sand the posts and clamps and make sure they are tight after you fully charge the battery while it is disconnected. Then you can test the charging system first with the no load/ load tests to find out if that is is problem. If the charging system tests good then it is the starting system bad solenoid , wires or starter. the tech library under charging systems will show you how to test the charging system step by step.

Broncodude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
How does the charging system effect the starter not engaging to turn it over ?

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Agreed. Either bad seleniod or bad ground. Just because you get a good reading, doesn't mean the connection is good enough to push the starter. If it clicks and your lights go dim, thats probably it.

If not then try bypassing the seleniod to see if the starter kicks.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
if its a standard try bypassing your clutch safety switch

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
Try load testing the battery (checking the voltage when the lights and blower fan are on), volts mean almost nothing, the starter needs massive amounts of amperage. You can also try putting a known good battery in if you have one. The solenoid can be bad, dont be cheap get a good one if you replace that, I put a "new" one in and it was bad out of the box. Had to spend the money and got a napa one. Check that by jumping the two posts on the solenoid. If its not the solenoid, its either the key switch or the ignition switch, both in the steering column. Theres only so much that can go wrong in the sytem.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
When troubleshooting an elecrrical problem you always start with charging system. Low volts will give you all sorts of problems in order to isolate a problem start with the battery, make sure it is fully charged and all the connections are good. Bad connections add resistance and you said your battery has 12 volts which is a little low. Check the voltage to the starter solenoid from the key (Little wire) in the start position it should be slightly lower than battery voltage. If no or lower than battery voltage work your way back to the battery checking the switches connectors and wires.

Broncodude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had the starter tested at it ran but it rattled and sounded like its on its last leg. I think it was original anyway so I got a new one, but still nothing. I'm putting in a new cable from the starter to the solonoid to eliminate that possibility and next will be the solonoid.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is the truck standard or auto? If standard 100% agreed with Arizona, if not maybe the neutral safety switch? I also vote for jumping the solenoid.

Broncodude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm really down now, got a nasty virus can't even walk to the garage to work on the truck. Its an Auto, not sure if I mentioned before but the last couple of times that it did start it acted like a dead battery. It has one of those yellow Ultima batterys which is a couple years old. I think the yellow ones are a cross between starting and deep cycle...so far the extra money I spent on that battery has not proven itself to me yet...

Broncodude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
New starter,starter cable,solenoid, battery, still just clicks at solenoid. I'm at a loss

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
Are your connections are oxidized or corroded (they should be shiny copper, hit them with steel wool or 220 grit paper)? Try jumping the solenoid. Take a screwdriver and jump between the two big posts (it will spark so be careful and dont do it for too long), if the starter turns over, you have a bad solenoid or possibly ignition switch/key cylinder in the steering column. I know you replaced the solenoid, but so did I. Took it to the garage to tear the steering column apart put in a new tumbler and ignition switch, didn't fix it. He popped in a napa solenoid and problem solved....spent like 150 in labor for and 10 dollars for a bad solenoid, when I should have spent 20 for a decent solenoid to start with. If jumping the solenoid doesn't work, test your voltage and do a load test both at the battery and the solenoid posts.

Broncodude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Finally found the problem. Bad ground somewhere. When the engine is grounded to the battery she fires right up

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals