• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New to prerunner scene looking for ideas for a cheap build?

RebelRanger22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 94 2wd ranger with the 4.0. i have a 3 inch lift and 31's but no suspension stuff done. where do i start?

thanks for the advice.

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
shocks big enough for a lift down the road get your sself a good pair of bilstines

dave@threat

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 94 2wd ranger with the 4.0. i have a 3 inch lift and 31's but no suspension stuff done. where do i start?

thanks for the advice.
I would start off with a bent beam kit and lose the body lift. If you want something that will perform better and you dont mind saving up a little more money you can step up to a simple extended beam kit. If your simply just are going for the look of a pre-runner and are not planning on actually using it in the desert then you can get away with a cheap drop down bracket kit.

RebelRanger22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah im more goin for the look but where would i get a drop down bracket kit? and what does it do excactly? sorry for all the questions

RangerRocker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah im more goin for the look but where would i get a drop down bracket kit? and what does it do excactly? sorry for all the questions
That's the point of the forum buddy, haha. At least you are running on beams so its gunna be a cheaper build for ya. Listen to the guys in this forum they will help you out a bunch. They already have me on the right, and expensive, path. :D Good luck man!

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
A "drop bracket" kit, is a bracket's that replace's your stock suspention mounting points, and drops the mounting point down lower, to correct the camber and caster from the "lift spring"

one of the better dropbracket kits would be the skyjacker kit
I dont see the 2wd listed here on TRS fab, so here is a link to one, to give you a ideal on price

http://www.truckaddons.com/catalog/subpages/skyjacker/skyjacker-ford-45.htm

A "bent beam" kit, is where the factory beams are "bent" to corect the camber from the 'lift spring" and use the factory piviot point's.
like autofab.com econo kit.

since they look to be a wash in price, myself I would go with the autofab kit, just in case you ever decide to beat on it or even get the bug to build off of it.

TayCo 7s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey man i would recomend getting some spacers on your front end to get that extended look. maybe buy some fiberglass front fenders . flare the bedsides. flowmaster, find a front prerunner bumper you would like with two lights and a skidplate and find some metal fabricator to make it.... thats what i think..

dave@threat

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hey man i would recomend getting some spacers on your front end to get that extended look. maybe buy some fiberglass front fenders . flare the bedsides. flowmaster, find a front prerunner bumper you would like with two lights and a skidplate and find some metal fabricator to make it.... thats what i think..
Wheel spacers are a bad idea even if its just a street driven truck.

TayCo 7s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wheel spacers are a bad idea even if its just a street driven truck.
okay i dont think that is all true..
they have been used for years by hot rods, daily drivers, my friends class 8 is running some right now.. come on bro..

dave@threat

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
okay i dont think that is all true..
they have been used for years by hot rods, daily drivers, my friends class 8 is running some right now.. come on bro..
Again its evident you know little...I have seen more pulled out snouts and busted balljoints then I have ever needed to see! Your comparing something totally different. You friends class 8 does not have the tiny Ranger components....BRO! Sure this guy probably could get away with running them but IT IS a bad idea.

RebelRanger22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey thanks for the insight on that guys, i thought wheel spacers sounded good at first but now i know better.

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes, wheel spacers are just bad. Ive have seen many a truck come in on a flat bed with broken studs from a wheel spacer or blown ball joints from the same.

Fenders, bumpers, lights and so forth are a great place to start but you WILL get bit by the off road bug and want to start spending money on long travel and such :D it happens to the best of us lol

RebelRanger22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah im lookin and some fiberglass fenders now and i just got a roll bar and some lights. your right u already want to spend all my money on my ranger! and i still got college to pay for haha

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals