Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 09-23-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
ZMan
TOTM Coordinator

Vehicle Year: 1992,1994,1995
Vehicle Make: Ford,Ford,Jeep
Vehicle Model: Ranger,Ranger,ZJ
I use this vehicle for: learning experiAnce, daily
ZMan is a jewel in the roughZMan is a jewel in the roughZMan is a jewel in the roughZMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to ZMan
Default Has anyone actually figured out the rough idle?

My 92 3.0l basically just sounds like its got a cam in it all the time! When its first started up in the morning it doesn't really like to stay running, ESPECIALLY if its below 50 degrees outside. It'll also surge from 1500rpm to 600rpm when I come to the stop sign a couple miles from my house. Once its warm it'll stay running and won't surge, but it still has that lumpy idle.

So far I've put in motorcraft plugs (it got a cap and rotor within the last 40k), a new coolant temperature sensor, swapped the MAF with a smooth idling truck, cleaned all the intake sensors I could find, but it still does the same thing.

Really other than the idle the truck runs like a champ and hasn't thrown any check engine lights *knock on wood*..Its been doing it since my friend bought it with 94k miles, its got 142k now.
'94 Ranger long bed 3.0l, bagged and chopped
'13 F-150 Ecoboost 4x4 daily driver
www.lhinteriorsllc.com
ZMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Premium Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 20B2FF503DCF74 Expires: September 28, 2018
Old 09-24-2007, 01:44 AM   #2
Wicked_Sludge

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger, Flareside
I use this vehicle for: Attracting the ladies
Wicked_Sludge is a jewel in the roughWicked_Sludge is a jewel in the roughWicked_Sludge is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_Sludge

id check out your TPS and IAT sensors.

there are two coolant temperature sensors, you replaced the one for the computer, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnsb2 View Post
Dyno sheet or GTFO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Dave (B25) View Post
The call was for scantily-clad women. A Certificate of Boob Authenticity was NOT specified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Imahara
I'm not sure if we have the right stuff; I'm just hoping we don't have the wrong stuff.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
Last edited by Wicked_Sludge : Today at 09:16 PM.
Wicked_Sludge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
cargs

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGER
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
cargs is on a distinguished road

what about your coil? i had a problem with hard starting in the morning it was the coil.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
ZMan
TOTM Coordinator

ZMan is a jewel in the roughZMan is a jewel in the roughZMan is a jewel in the roughZMan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_Sludge View Post
id check out your TPS and IAT sensors.

there are two coolant temperature sensors, you replaced the one for the computer, right?
ahh forgot about the TPS, that was the FIRST thing I replaced. I replaced the coolant temp sensor on the top of the engine near the thermostat..wheres the other one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargs View Post
what about your coil? i had a problem with hard starting in the morning it was the coil.
I can try that.
www.lhinteriorsllc.com
Old 09-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
Jspafford
Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012

Vehicle Year: 2009
Vehicle Make: Chevy
Vehicle Model: 2500HD
I use this vehicle for: Shaming Sports Cars
Jspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of light

When you say rough, do you mean like sitting at lights it stumbles and it makes ya look to make sure it didn't shut off.

I noticed that on Heather's Ranger. Weird
1989 Bronco II, 2.9L, Manual Trans and T-case, Manual hubs | 2004 Tahoe Z71, 5.3L 4L60E, AutoTrac 4WD, Leather, Bose, DVD, Loaded | 2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Bed 5" MBRP Straight Pipe, EFI Live Tuned by Longhorn Fab Shop.
Jspafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:33 PM   #6
ZMan
TOTM Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspafford View Post
When you say rough, do you mean like sitting at lights it stumbles and it makes ya look to make sure it didn't shut off.

I noticed that on Heather's Ranger. Weird
nah its not quite that bad. Just real lumpy. My old aerostar WOULD stall if you didn't hold the throttle open a little, that was fun.
www.lhinteriorsllc.com
Old 09-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #7
Southern3.0

Vehicle Year: '96
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Punishment
Southern3.0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats almost exactly how my old '91 would run, even after I swapped all the sensors, coil and a few other parts except for the Maf and 02's off a perfectly good running Taurus (Trans was bad). Never figured out what was up w/ it, but other then the idle the truck ran great so I never really worried about it
'91 Ranger, picked it up for $300, sold it for $2500
Southern3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:10 AM   #8
therangerofdanger

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT super-cab 2-door
therangerofdanger is on a distinguished road

if you have access to a scan tool look at EGR flow even though that should set the MIL but it is OBDI if that were the prob. to much EGR flow gives you exuast flow at idle when the EGR should only allow flow at crusing. doing this will give you a rough idle. if it is at 10% that should cause an idle problem anything higher should stall the engine. also check you IAC (idle air control) that is a good possibly to your idle problem. if there is to much "grime" could clog up the pintle and seat in your IAC valve. check those if you haven't figured it out. they are alittle cheaper than a coil pack and other things.
therangerofdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
ZMan
TOTM Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by therangerofdanger View Post
if you have access to a scan tool look at EGR flow even though that should set the MIL but it is OBDI if that were the prob. to much EGR flow gives you exuast flow at idle when the EGR should only allow flow at crusing. doing this will give you a rough idle. if it is at 10% that should cause an idle problem anything higher should stall the engine. also check you IAC (idle air control) that is a good possibly to your idle problem. if there is to much "grime" could clog up the pintle and seat in your IAC valve. check those if you haven't figured it out. they are alittle cheaper than a coil pack and other things.
EGR delete option Old 3.0s are also distributor engines. I'll try cleaning my IAC, thats about the only thing I haven't tried. If its not that I give up because I'm not buying a IAC, too much $$.
www.lhinteriorsllc.com
Old 10-25-2007, 05:04 PM   #10
joemohio

joemohio is on a distinguished road

Same problem here. 93 3.0 4x4 5 spd. on cold start ups it will run so rough that I will turn it off because it makes no sense fighting it . If I turn it off and fire it right back up its fine. I Have still have the lumpy idle when it warms up though. Another good one is if I stall it in the morning, (half a sleep clutch foot) Then try to start it up I have to hold the gas to the floor or it wont start. Acts like its flooded.
Now I dont know how true this is but I believe there is a ford update (recalibration)for the engine computer that takes care of this issue. I have been meaning to take it in to have that done but havent made it there.
Any one heard of this recalibration for this issue?
joemohio is offline   Reply With Quote