• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 ford ranger 2.3l 4 cyl broke timing belt driving

brd35124

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
need urgent help for my truck is now at mechanic and they are stating that my bill will be $725-$825 for when timing belt broke it most definetily caused engine damage. in my research I am finding that my truck is a non-interference engine and if timing belt broke while driving that no damage will occur. can anyone help me so I can call this mechanic back. Is my engine non-interference and Will their be other damage? :bawling:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes the Lima 2.0l, 2.3l, and 2.5l are all non-interference engines.

So valves and pistons can not hit each other even when timing belt breaks.

Not sure of any other damage that might occur, maybe broken timing belt cover.

I would see what water pump replacement would cost.

Timing belt replacement would probably be a 3-4 hour job, times that by their shop costs, then + parts

brd35124

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I am not expecting a quote but under normal circumstances what do you think just a timing belt replace x 4 hours average labor may run.

yourdudeness

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2.3 timing belt

I am not expecting a quote but under normal circumstances what do you think just a timing belt replace x 4 hours average labor may run.
i think there being rough on you bill wise, four hours???? not that bad of a job if it just the belt that's two hundred an hour i would check around at that rate yourdudeness

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
$750 for a timing belt sounds high. Our labor rate is $79/hour. The belt is probably less than $100, so I really can't see the whole job running more than $500 at the outside.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Timing belt in Canada is about $50...labour would be two hours tops if they know what they are doing...

But you can do it yourself...there is plenty of information on this site to complete the job and it will probably only take you a couple of hours...even if you have no idea what you are doing.

The first time mine broke I was driving...I spent about $200 on other parts before I realized what was wrong...had it towed home after buying a timing belt and did the job for the first time (EVER) in under two hours.

It's really that easy to do...even with a Fuel Injected model...

Where are you located??? I'm sure there is someone on here close enough to you that could give you a hand for a case of beer and maybe a few bucks...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think you are forgetting about draining the old coolant and the environmental disposal fee of $100 :) , and then refilling and purging the system, extra hour there.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I guess there is one other thing we haven't considered.

What was the tow bill and is it figured into that estimate? I know when we get non-AAA members towed in we usually have the towing company bill us and then put it on their bill.

huh?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
timing belt at in hawaii at oreillys' = $15.99
the list price(what the mechanics shop will charge their customer) maybe $25?

perhaps a call to the mechanic asking specifically what kind of damage happened in your non-interference engine. that may enable more suggestions.

a couple years ago my sisters car(camry w/noninterference eng) broke down. my action = tow her car home, buy timing belt kit, start installing kit. the first thing i installed was the idler pulley which was a mistake(shouldn't have openned the kit, yet) because when i tried to turn the crank to tdc it stopped at about 10 deg btdc. tried turning the crank the other way and got stopped at 10 deg atdc. huh? looking down spark plug hole with piston moved a bit lower in the cylinder gave me a nice view of the crescent shape stamped in the top by a valve(or was it a piece of the seat?). there was a couple of other shiny spots on the piston that showed through the otherwise black piston top.

anyways the reason for the long blah blah blah is that the broken belt may be a symptom of something else, rather than the primary breakdown . at least that is what i hypothesized in regards to my sisters car.

if it is just the timing belt and nothing else then i have to throw a vote for mark_88 and say go for it on the diy action. i've changed timing belts on maybe 15 to 20 different vehicles and the one on my sons' 88 2.0l was by far the easiest one. ever. straight engine mount: yay transverse mounted engine: boo

94b2300ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3l is out! 4.0l is in!!!
Transmission
Manual
this happened to me a couple of years ago. belt snapped and sheared off the crankshaft position sensor with it a $16 part turned into $140 in parts. DIY save the money get the experience. you have to start somewhere. keep us updated.

doomed dan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
need help timing belt

i have been setting timing belt by the mark tighten everything up the belt jumps time. every time ?

jonathan62019

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
what procedure are you using to time it. ?

doomed dan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
lined up timing mark . beat back the tensioner tightened it then turn it over the the belt jumps about 8 inch

doomed dan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
why does the belt jump if its tight?

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
Make sure the belt it set correctly on the teeth of the cam gear. Also make sure the "slop" in the belt is on the tensioner side.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals