• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1984 bronco 2 stutters

swarn2racing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hello i have a bronco 2 with a 2.8 and it stutters when unger load like if ur cruzin 60 and u give it more gas to speed up it will start stuttering and bucking it also pops real loud wen u down shift i noticed the throttle position sencer is not pluged in and on the hiring harness where the tps plugs in someone cut the yeelow and purple wires and twisted them together

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the first thing i would look at is the rotor. i had the same symptoms, the screws holding the rotor on backed out! left me stranded on a mountain pass overnite!

swarn2racing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
the rotor is good i just replaced the rotor the cap wires and fuel filter hoping it would solve the problem but it didnt could the fact that the tps is not pluged in be the problem

B2 Addict

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
37x12.50-17
I just had the same issue with stumbling under a load, mine was so bad I could barely even take off, turned out I had trash in the carb and one of the jets was completely plugged up. Just a thought...

I am running the D/spark setup on mine, if you are still running the stock carb setup, it probably has something to do with the carb itself....they are notorious for giving problems. I would check for any vacuum leaks around the carb and run a pressure check on the catalytic converter also.....

I don't suppose it would hurt to try hooking up the tps to see what it does.... although it is computer controlled, I ran mine for years with a non working computer before switching to the D/spark and was able to keep it running by playing with the adjustments on the carb.

I'm just kind of throwing stuff out there from past experience, sorry I can't be any more help.... Good luck!

:icon_cheers:
B2

swarn2racing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thanx ill check out the carb wat would be the best way to clean the carb without rebuilding it

ps is that ur b2 in the pick cause it looks just like mine same year and every thing mine has 6'' lift with 3'' body lift with 35s

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If your still running with the computer it dont matter what you do it will always run like ass with the tps jerry rigged. Without all the smog working correct the advance goes to base timing as a default (limp mode). Get the parts and duraspark it if you have O/D you can switch it manually.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I forgot did you check that the choke was all the way open that could give you that symptom at higher speeds.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You want the choke to be fully open around 140 degrees or you will be able to watch the gas guage drop as you driveing down the road.

swarn2racing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
yes the choke is open fullly and how much will it cost to do the duraspark convirsion

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
About $120 for a new module and dizzy. If you can find a donor car late 70s pinto or mustang II with the 2.8. I bought the dizzy and module from autozone and got the dizzy harness out of a 84 ranger with a 4 cyl. Just search duraspark conversion here and look in the tech library for part numbers.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You can just use your stock carb for now until you get another carb or put a metering block on the back of the carb. just unplug the feedback solenoid and remove the idle speed motor just use the idle stop by the throttle cable on the base of the carb.

swarn2racing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
o ok ill have to look in to that budget is a little tight right now so i gess ill have to deal with the stuttering for now

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe someone here has some extra parts they could let go of cheap it dont hurt to ask for help. Maybe keep an eye on local bone yards for a 4 cyl ranger for the module and harness the dizzy will have to come from a late 70s pinto or capri or mustang II with the 2.8 plus it will have the carb wiring and module if it hasnt been raped already.

swarn2racing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ok the dizzy is gona be the hard one to find

swarn2racing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
you can get reman pinto dizzy off ebay for $80

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals