• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Carb? EFI? What to choose.

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nor would you need to. Just replace the faulty component, turn the key and go.
But the problem I see is finding the faulty component. Sure it might throw a code, but that might not even fix the problem. This is a fun thread as long as everyone stays on topic with good points :tease:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I encourage anyone that deals with engines to check out that book. Only then will you see the simplistic beauty of EFI.

THIS is a great little book that will help you learn about tuning carbs. It will also help you understand how many compromises a carb makes that EFI doesn't have to.

I'm done talking about this.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You can't vaper lock an EFI. It's a LOOP with an electric pump.

The reason I posted the Quadrajet is because it's the last carburater standing in the US--used on HD Chevy pickups until 1988 in the 7.4 liter. It was the only one that could be cobbled together enough to meet emissions that late.

Do you know why cars get poor emissions? Because they are running poorly somewhere in their rpm range. There is no linear device on them. They have a series of 3-6 steps of changes in devices participating in metering fuel, and each of those devices has a single airflow measurment where it works well. It's like a digital image with 100 pixels compared an EFI having 100 megapixels. The Quadrajet was the best of them, that's why I used it. Any carb has more components than an EFI though. An EFI adjusts to circumstances--it's in no way a series of patch jobs. Yes, it's programmed. Yes someone programmed it. Yes, a real computer ike the one you are typing on is inside that box in the kick panel.

Show me a carb with 12 parts and you'll be showing me a plastic Briggs carb.
Can't vapor lock it ? Yea, that's what I thought too. While on the phone arranging a tow, a US Park Ranger stopped and told me it was vapor lock. I told him , no this is EFI. He told me, doesn't matter here, this place is like the Bermuda Triangle. Told me to let it cool down and it would start. 30 minutes later it did. The motor in an E series van is in a box. The fan clutch wasn't operating. Outside temp was 115*. Road speed was 10-15 mph. No air in the box, nothing to cool the fuel lines,,,,,,,,,,,,,, vapor lock. Don't believe it, whatever dude. It can happen. The Quadra-shit wasn't the last US carb. Those were Ford/Holley's used in Ford Crown Vic cop cars on 351's. Want a carb with 12 parts ? Pickup an Autolite 2100. You're not very well versed in carburetors, just as I'm not the same with EFI. Post a COMPLETE wiring diagram for an EFI system, showing ALL the circuits, then we'll see which is more complicated.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals