• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Late model 35 ttb knuckle on early model 35 ttb

Nerdrage88

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry if this has been asked before but does anyone know if you can put any Dana 35 knuckle on any Dana 35 (ttb or straight axle) the reason I ask is because of the later ttb brakes are quite the update and haven't seen anything on swapping knuckles to allow better brakes on a early ttb that originally came with those stupid pins and single piston caliper.

Off subject but speaking of brake supposedly mustang disc brakes fit 28 splin 8.8 in a snap but not the 31 spline and was wondering if I could take the flanges off a 28 spline and put it on a 31 spline housing and then do the mustang disk swap. Maybe I'm treading new ground because I haven't seen any of the sort (the reason why I bother is because I'm planning a n buying a first gen explore for parts on my b2 project and don't want to do to much peacing parts besides a few thing like brake updates that are newer than even the first gen ex vs b2) and I'm not a fan of those drum brake parking things.

Thanks

Wayne

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have heard you can just switch knuckles and of course the brakes, never done it though.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
×2, it is my understanding the knuckles will swap. I think there might be a difference where the steering stop hits though (not sure how this will affect things), the later knuckles I remember having adjustable stops.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
Dana 35 (ttb or straight axle)
I don't believe I've ever seen a front D35 that wasn't TTB.

Rear jeep? Sure. But no front 35 in a straight axle configuration

Nerdrage88

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe it was a rear axle for the straight axle Dana 35. I have read that lockers with fit ether.

Even if the wheel stops are different (witch they probably are) I'm sure it wouldn't be to difficult to modify if it were to affect the swap in any way.

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes many jeeps came with the rear straight axle low pinion 35. Those are notorious for easily bent housings and easily broke axle shafts. The lockers will fit either, though the provisions for c clips aren't used for the front typically. I guess you may be able to retain the passenger one if you used a rear locker for the front?

I have ran a couple used heep rear lockers in a front ttb. I found them cheap when guys Grenaded the rest of their rear axles. Of course I ended up grenading mine too.

To the rear disk question- I found that the drum 31 spline 8.8s have a smaller spacing from the housing bearing flange to the wms than disk setups. This makes it difficult to convert to disks. This has been overcome with washers (I think a 1/8" wheel spacer under the disk would be the best option) or some machining. Check out my build thread to see how I finally got it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Nerdrage88

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
4wd 95+ Explorers and 98+ Rangers have a very different D35 lurking in the front end.
I know this to be correct. They have ifs as in uper and lower control arms and CV axles. I was contiplating getting a 95-97 ttb from a ranger just for the updated brakes but that would defeat the purpose of buying a parts truck with 95% of the things I need thus not needing to piece things together with the exception of a few thing.

Sorry if I confused anyone about the straight Dana 35 being a front axle, for some reason thought there was, some people use lockers intended for that axle in a 35 ttb.

Nerdrage88

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So without starting a new thread and probably have been asked.

If the ranger 28 spline 8.8 is narrower than the explore 31 spline 8.8 then is the ttb 35 different widths also?

So if I were to leave to 7.5 and put a 95-97 35 ttb they should be close to the same width? I'm thinking killing two birds with one stone and less work. Put in the 35 the with the upgraded brakes on it already.

Just a shot in the dark but if there is a difference in width it's the knuckle correct? And there is nothing to compare similar years because by then the ex started with independent not ttb.

For now I'm not going for the strength I'm going for the brakes and the ability for slightly lower gears and lockers. The way I'm set up I won't brake what I got but would like lower gears because my tires a 235s and I came stock with 205s so the gears will help. Since I don't need the strength I'll be leaving the 7.5 and just do the mustang disk brake upgrade (according the the tech artical about it, it's snap, as mentioned earlier).

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Rangers got wider too in '93 IIRC so you are still going to be off.

I am curious how it is going to play out with my '95 D35 and my Explorer 8.8. It will be better than my D28 and 8.8 how it sits now but I am curious how much better.

Nerdrage88

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hmmm so I might be better off with the 8.8 of 93 + and 95 + ranger AT MINIMUM preferably both of the same 95-97 ranger.

Again im looking for the brake options and not necessarily the strengths. I shouldn't brake those axles with the tires I got even when I do lockers.

I know the ranger 8.8 is only 28 spline but I can do the same bakes on the ranger 8.8 as with the 7.5.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They didn't match originally so you won't be able to get them to match dead nuts perfect no matter what you do.

Nerdrage88

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Oh OK so no biggy. My front tires rub on the sway bar and was hoping the d35 was a little wider so I don't have to buy all 5 new wheels. Just the one steel one with one that matches the stock aluminum ones. From what I understand it is.

Do they even make 28 spline Lockrs of any type? I'm planning on air front and rear because my b2 is my dd and I rather not deal with the qwarks that auto lockers have and it snows where I live. from all the reading I have done they aren't the safest.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
All D28 TTB axles are 58" wide (not to include the so-called D28/35 hybrid axle)
All D35 TTB axles are 59.5" wide (including the D28/35 hybrid axle)
All Ranger rear axles '83-'92 are 56.5" wide
All Ranger rear axles '93-'11 are 58.5" wide
All Explorer 8.8" axles '91-'01 are 59.5" wide.

8.8" 28 spline lockers are fairly plentiful, but 7.5" lockers are fewer (the Detroit Locker is available for a 7.5", but much of the rest are lunchbox (drop-in) types... no selectable types that I know of).

I do believe the brake backing plates are interchangeable between Ranger 7.5s and 8.8s, so any brake swaps should be doable either way as well.

Nerdrage88

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Bingo exactly what I was looking for. That post in itself should be a sticky. So it looks like I can get all the stuff I need from a 95-97 ranger. From the trans back with mustang rear disc brakes.

Not part of this post exactly but I think I'm going to keep the 2.9 but m5od bw1354 front d35 rear 8.8 front drive shaft and modified rear drive shaft unless the one I got will work but I think the ranger is completely different. it should be 900 times easier and cheaper just to use the ranger one.

So I guess you could call it a resto-mod since the d2 is pretty much a short first gen ranger to begin with. Ok now I'm rambling

Anywho thanks for the help I think I know what direction to take with my resto-mod.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals