• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II rear shackle flip questions.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
75 87 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W , 2.9L , 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have been looking at the shackle flip threads and I dont see any done on a Bronco II.
I would be using Explorer springs and Ranger blocks also.

My question is if anyone has done this with the factory bracket and shackle?
Is a body lift required?
It does look like the shackle would swing close to a body seam.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
75 87 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W , 2.9L , 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Now that i think about it , I probably would have a body lift at the rear long travel stage!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I dont see why u would flip the shackle.? That would lower it.

Sent from the wrong side of town using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
75 87 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W , 2.9L , 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yes it does . I read where the flip lowers about 2" so i would be adding a factory Ranger 2" lift block to bring that back up to ride height and provide the higher bump stop.
The flip shackle allows more travel as far as drop ( i think ) , i am sure the type of springs used will have different results.

Last edited:

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was thinking the limit for drop in the rear suspension was the length of the shock.I put on Ranger blocks and to hunt down shocks just a little longer in shock specification catalog.If you flip and block up your not going to have much space between the rubber stop and the plate on the edge of the u-bolts. Probably wouldn't hurt to measure the space between the plate and rubber stop.I think that mod will take out about half your up travel.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
75 87 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W , 2.9L , 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I was thinking the limit for drop in the rear suspension was the length of the shock.I put on Ranger blocks and to hunt down shocks just a little longer in shock specification catalog.If you flip and block up your not going to have much space between the rubber stop and the plate on the edge of the u-bolts. Probably wouldn't hurt to measure the space between the plate and rubber stop.I think that mod will take out about half your up travel.
I am sure longer flexy arched springs are the way to go with a flip shackle set up. I have also seen a flipped and dropped shackle somewhere that would not affect the height change but i have a Curt hitch that would interfere with a set up like that.

I jacked the rear of my 87 BII up a while back , when my springs flattened out i still had a few inches to go to the bump stop and the tire was stuffed in the wheel well really nice and the opposite tire was off the ground .
And I think the shocks had more travel to go.
The drop is what i would be looking for.
Aftermarket blocks without the bump on the side may be a better choice with a larger bump stop on frame.
With a 2.9 and auto in my truck i wouldn't be doing a huge lift and tires .

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals