• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

WET fuse box wreaking havoc please advise!

joedangelo04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I was washing out my interior today and just glanced the fuse panel with the hose of my 2004 Ford Ranger. I didn't think much of it and I turned on the blower to dry everything out and walked away. Returned two hours later to a disaster. The hazards were sort of blinking along with the interior light. There was a switching sound coming from the panel and the theft light was going bezerk. It would not even turn over. I disconnected the battery and and used a hari dryer on the fuse box for a few minutes. It didn't work. Think this thing will dry out overnight and be groovy or did I just fry my truck??> Thanks a million...Joel

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

You may have fried a few wires.

Water itself doesn't short out electrical stuff its the minerals in the water and on the stuff that dissolves in the water that causes shorts.

You can let it dry out and see what happens, could be just fine.

If not then you could, unhook battery, and rinse fuse panel off with Distilled water, it has no minerals, and hopefully it will wash away those other minerals left behind by the hose water, that are causing shorts.
Then let it dry out again.

If a wire did short and melt then you will need to find it and fix it

Last edited:

joedangelo04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the response RonD. I just went out and it seems fine. I didn't try and start it but the lights were working normally. Thank God! What a dumbas for doing this. Live and learn. BTW you'd think they would make the stuff a little more robust being right near the floor and all. It is a work truck!!!

joedangelo04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the response RonD. I just went out and it seems fine. I didn't try and start it but the lights were working normally. Thank God! What a dumbas for doing this. Live and learn. BTW you'd think they would make the stuff a little more robust being right near the floor and all. It is a work truck!!!
Please disregard this post. I went out this morning to move it and it isn't fixed.It seemed fine late last night but now has gone backwards. Something back there is really wet. I must have hit it just wrong:(. Guess I'll be dissassembling today. Any feedback appreciated once again...thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Disconnect battery first......................

Yes, pull out fuse panel as much as possible to inspect the back for shorts.

Not sure how much more "robust" they can make an electrical panel other than putting it inside and up high, late model Rangers have Smart Junction Box(fuse panel) at floor level behind passenger kick panel, lol.
Flooding happens, with cars and homes, it is just way to expensive to protect for that.

joedangelo04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Disconnect battery first......................

Yes, pull out fuse panel as much as possible to inspect the back for shorts.

Not sure how much more "robust" they can make an electrical panel other than putting it inside and up high, late model Rangers have Smart Junction Box(fuse panel) at floor level behind passenger kick panel, lol.
Flooding happens, with cars and homes, it is just way to expensive to protect for that.
Thought I would update this thread in case it happens to anyone else. After drying for two days and charging the battery it was fine. Thank God!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
"Time heals all wounds" :)

Thanks for the update

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
For future reference...NO HOSING DOWN THE INTERIOR! You may not be so lucky next time.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Ya know....

There should probably be a tech section somewhere on this site for waterproofing offroad vehicles. Many people don't think about it until too late. ie; truck stalls while fording deep stream or pond and someone opens the door and lets water in even though they could clearly see it was almost at hood level outside. There is a science (or art) to properly preparing for wet situations. The truck needs to be waterproofed inside and out.
  • sealed electrical connectors
  • use heat shrink with sealant inside for making splices
  • caulk all openings or use good grommets
  • make sure weatherstripping is in good condition
  • protect battery and it's terminals
  • intake modifications
  • differential and gearbox breather modifications
  • etc.

Some of these things are covered in various scattered places. Maybe we should have a common place to collect this info with notes on how to recover from a catastrophic or semi-catastrophic "wet event".

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals