• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need help fast.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
went mudding saturday cuz we had awesome rain here in cedar city. well i went through some huge holes at like 40+ miles an hr. WOT and right after the sec hole she started to misfire pretty bad. i let it idle and idle came back smooth hit the gas and bogged down pretty far and went WOT and all power was restored. it happened for a lil while. got back home and let it cool down. got the hose out and sprayed it off to be able to see things. well nothing looked out of the ordinary. took it for a drive and with lite throttle it would seem as if it were running out of gas, then suddenly it would come back and drive fine for about 30 sec and do it again. did it three times. it doesnt happen when it warm just on first start up.

i checked the fuel pressure and it sit firmly at 30psi and 34psi when i blip the throttle. ive replaced fpr and it vac line. both pumps are new. the in-tank pump is two years old, first filter is 8 months old, sec pump is 11 months old and the sec filter is 18 months old. both temp sensors are new. new distributor cap rotor plugs wires. module is new. i fixed some old wires were the insulation was crack or showing copper.

has long crank times, and is under powered. feels like im towing a whale.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My guess's:
You need a hotter spark when cold, computer runs richer mix.

Spark is not advancing like it should, like Knock sensor is always on, if so equipped

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its got it there. its not mounted to the motor but still plugged in.

update: new fuel pump and filter, new pcv, cleaned tb, checked for vac leaks. monday getting new distributor and module (found a small crack)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
update: got in the new distributor and module. i have to wait a little while for it to get cold cuz thats when the problems happen.

if anyone has any ideas on what i can look at and inspect. im out of ideas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
another update.

found why it was cutting out, power wire to in-tank pump was broken.

fixed the wire and the pump works now.

now when im driving it will shut off and not restart. ran fine for about 6 miles. then just died. checked for spark and it was not hitting every time. seems like it would skip a few times. cuz it sounded like it want to start but wouldnt. so i need some ideas on what to look at because im very unfamiliar with these systems.

thanks in advance

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would run through the TFI worksheet found here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

If you add fuel to intake then crank, and it starts and dies then fuel is still the problem.
If it still doesn't start then spark is the issue

You could run a 12volt wire from battery + to Coil + and then try to start, if it starts then could be ignition switch problem, intermittent 12v from key switch to ignition system.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals