• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electric Fan Install

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Harris,

Have you ever replaced the thermostat?

It sounds to me as if your engine is not reaching operating temperature, which could very well affect your gas mileage. I'm willing to bet your tail pipe is pretty sooty, meaning it is running rich because the thermostat is stuck open, providing too much cooling REGARDLESS OF WHICH TYPE FAN YOU ARE RUNNING.

This time of year, I wouldn't even RUN the e-fan, unless I were sitting at stoplights in traffic and SAW the temp needle getting up near the A or L (of NORMAL). You'll absolutely get better MPG with the Temp at LEAST to the R or M.

I can look at the Scangauge, but IIRC, when mine just hits the letter M = 193* which is right where it is designed to operate. I'll try to remember to notice the Scanguage temp when it hits the O, but I'm betting it's in the 160's, because mine shows it's in the 130's as it comes off the low side peg toward the N.

I think you need a thermostat more than you needed that $8 e-fan.

Good work on the install though. You should see improved MPG once you install the temp switch set-up.

Harris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Earl,

Like I said, I just got that fan as a little "for fun" project to do on a beautiful spring day (I never actually "needed" it). I still have the original fan in my toolbox and it will take, what, 15 minutes to pull the e/fan off and put the old one back on? Also, my mother had the thermostat replaced when I was in basic training a few years back so I don't know exactly which rating they used, but it has always run cool. (I bought the truck back in 1996.) The thermostat opens up after idling about 7-8 minutes, though, so it isn't stuck open.

When I get the chance I promise I'll put the temperature switch on but I have been impressed with the 1.5 mpg gain over the past three weeks.(That is the average with one tank used in town and one on highway.) As far as soot there is some but it doesn't seem like an excessive amount. I do need to replace my catalytic converter, though, so there is a chance that it has suffered from an increased bombardment of carbon, but it is the original (235k miles).

Thanks for the input.

Harris

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals