• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BII engine oil cooler

tmar04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone ever seen a BII with factory installed engine oil cooler? also, has anyone fabbed up one with aftermarket parts? I read an article once about a guy that got an OEM cooler from some model Torino, installed it on BII, and plumbed it into heater hoses. Most of aftermarket ones are air cooled. Wonder which works best?? I want to tow trailer weighing, gross, 3500 lbs, and have the Auto tranny cooled with (2) OEM aux coolers in series in front of radiator. Keeps it real cool. Now, I want to cool the oil some, also.

Any help from you guys would be appreciated. I have 87 BII, AT, 3.73 gears, and assumed it had Tow Package, if it was even offered then. I say this because it had a factory installed 6 pin trailer light connection on rear bumper area, with 3500 lb. rated rear bumper, and OEM aux tranny cooler and also had 4X4 tranny pan. holds an extra quart. thanks again.

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I read an article once about a guy that got an OEM cooler from some model Torino, installed it on BII, and plumbed it into heater hoses.
I don't see how you are cooling oil when its going into heater hoses?

Q1. I don't really see the need to an oil cooler? Why would you possible need one?

Q2. Whats is the need for 2 OEM trans coolers. Just get an aftermarket one big enough and be done with it.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I don't see how you are cooling oil when its going into heater hoses?
even though the cooling system is around 195-200 degrees when fully warmed, the oiling system can get 100+ degrees hotter than that. A small oil cooler may raise engine coolant temp by 1 or 2 degrees it may drop the oil temp by 30-40 degrees

Q1. I don't really see the need to an oil cooler? Why would you possible need one?
They do help, In low speed and mid to high RPM situations or extended high load situations. Adding an oil cooler to my tuck cooled the oil enough to gain 3-4 psi oil pressure in 90 degree weather

Q2. Whats is the need for 2 OEM trans coolers. Just get an aftermarket one big enough and be done with it.
Using used OE pieces can be a substantial savings over buying aftermarket units.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals