• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Moar Boost, Questions for the smart cookies on here.

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Some people know of me/my truck on other boards, but for those that don't, I have a 98 Ranger, 5.0 swap, OBD2, 5lbs of boost with a roots style supercharger.

After Dyno'ing I've started doing some additional research on the blower and contacted the vendor finally...

Results:
235WHP, and climbing (shifted on the dyno into 4th gear... it was still pulling, and judging by the curve I'd say it had another 10-15 left in it easily.)
300WTQ, peaked at 3500RPM, dropped to 285 by 4500RPM when it shifted.

11.8 A:F Across the board.

The Supercharger kit was advertised as 285hp at the crank with 6PSI, so Its about on-par, which is nice since its only 5PSI.

Truck has about 12.01lbs Per Crank HP so it moves out nicely.

Mods: K+N Panel filter, 30lb injectors, 255lph Walbro fuel pump, full exhaust minus headers, 4.10 8.8 Posi rear end.

So now the next step is "What do I need to do to pulley down"

http://www.pulleyboys.com/store/home.php?cat=16

the vendor's HO Kit for their 4.0 SOHC Mustang blowers is 11lbs, and they had told me that they have only seen heat issues on that kit when it is exceptionally warm outside (90+), and the tune they sell with that kit drops power accordingly for it to keep it safe.

With this in mind, Its the SAME blower that I have, and I see no reason not to go ahead and order the 8lb pulley since stock 5.0's are taking WELL more than that, and the explorer bottom end is beefier than the mustang 5.0's anyways to my understanding

So my questions:

What else do I need to upgrade to keep this safe? I have a Wideband O2 sensor/gauge, and a Boost gauge to keep an eye on those 2 things. I already have bigger injectors as well as a high volume fuel pump, that should be more than adequate, but from reading.

I suspect my next 'limiting' factor is the MAF (Stock 1996 V-8 Explorer MAF) as it can only 'see' so much CFM, and when its pulling enough air for 8lbs, it will peg the MAF, which is bad news. Suggestions on OEM/Aftermarket replacements? Any need for a larger MAF, or is it primarily the sensor? Or do I even need to replace it if I'm only going 8lbs?

No space to run a Liquid to air intercooler/heatexchanger, and Meth is out of the question for the moment. The blower is ice cold even after my dyno pulls, the tuner that Dyno'ed the truck was surprised how cool it was running until I told him it was only 5psi.

And then finally Spark plugs I'd imagine I should run a step or 2 colder...

I started a thread about the plugs previously on other forums, and noone really gave me any good resources... I am going to see about calling a vendor directly to get information on this, but figure it couldn't hurt to ask if anyone had a good resource for this info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkBJrEAuJ3A

Sorry for all of the questions combined into one post, but the "Boost bug" has bitten.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well, swap pulleys and take it for a drive, keep a close eye on the wideband, if it starts to lean out, back off. Those 30lb injectors will be tapped out around 320 crank HP. I don't know much of anything about MAFs. Also may be a good idea to retard the timing more with the higher boost.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Wait - so you have a "kit" for a motor you swapped in?

Leave supercharger alone until you get headers, and port match the intake and headers to the heads. Maybe port the intake if it's the stock one and not a stock plastic one. My buddy has a 331 stroker in his '67 Mustang and it'll blow sideways on command at 60mph, and he's only running 6lbs. He's got a healthy 100hp+ over what you got, though. Seems to me your motor has a ways to go before thinking about higher manifold pressure. Personally I'd have gone with heads/cam before a blower.

I'm not sure on what MAF to get, but maybe a try to score a used complete F.A.S.T. setup and you'll have loads of room for the future.

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wait - so you have a "kit" for a motor you swapped in?

Leave supercharger alone until you get headers, and port match the intake and headers to the heads. Maybe port the intake if it's the stock one and not a stock plastic one. My buddy has a 331 stroker in his '67 Mustang and it'll blow sideways on command at 60mph, and he's only running 6lbs. He's got a healthy 100hp+ over what you got, though. Seems to me your motor has a ways to go before thinking about higher manifold pressure. Personally I'd have gone with heads/cam before a blower.

I'm not sure on what MAF to get, but maybe a try to score a used complete F.A.S.T. setup and you'll have loads of room for the future.
My engine is a 5.0, not a 4.6, my intake is aluminum.

I have the engine out of a 1998 Ford Explorer in my ranger. The Supercharger kit is for 1996-2001 Explorers.

Explorer heads are GT40P's, I don't need to port the heads, they flow plenty without a problem. Ditto for the intake, they flow far better than mustangs of 'old' and are a common upgrade. My TB is also 'oversized' compared to mustangs.

Cam is on the short list, Heads aren't on the list until winter.

Only ONE company makes decent headers for this setup, and the kit advises against them. (I don't know why, but I'm not willing to shell out the money for the headers at the moment anyways)

I am really just curious if my setup will have any problems running an extra 3lbs of boost. The injectors should be able to handle it, but as the other poster mentioned, I will just have to keep an eye on it.

I'm not aiming for big numbers, I'm looking to squeeze out another 20-30hp on the big end over the 245-250 it already has (as already mentioned, couldn't take it up to redline on the dyno, but the curve is strong)

Anyone have any direct experience with 8lbs+ on a OBD2 302 here?

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dan, I looked earlier on one of the Mustang sites with the question "How much safe boost on a stock 5.0L" and 90% said 8#'s. Wonder why EE says not to use them headers? Their kit calls for the stock injectors and such. Maybe they were afraid of people screwing something up and not upgrading (not knowing what they were doing)? I'll E-Mail you the address of a guy who knows a lot about the OBDII systems.
Finially got some new windows!
Dave of the Nord

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Do you have a pic of your engine bay?? Which charger are you running?? I've been wanting to install a roots type charger on mine, but haven't found one yet...Any details would be great!!
SVT

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
First things first, that truck sounds awesome. From what I can gather, that is a stock Explorer cam? The factory Explorer cam is a huge bottleneck. If I were you, I'd get the boost and exhaust where you want it, and then plop down for a custom ground cam specific to your setup.

Couple more questions. What ECU are you using (Explorer/Mustang)? And are you using the Explorer DIS or a Mustang dizzy?

You asked about suggestions on MAF units. I love my 73mm C&L. My car is a hobby for me, and I can't throw a lot of money at it all the time. So having a MAF I could customize is great. I can just swap the sampling tube for injector changes. Some people don't like this and say do it all custom. But my car has and will change all the time, so custom is a waste of money for me at the moment. Plus, the A9L ECU adapts to the changes I've done very well.

Running boost though, you'll want a custom tune at some point for sure.

http://www.cnlperformance.com/76mm_86-93.html

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think I can answer most of the questions from the last couple of posts. Dan is running the stock JY Explorer motor, stock ignition, stock manifolds, stock cam. Different cam is on his list. He is like a lot of us in today's economy, time and money are in short supply sometimes. That blower is one of the Explorer Express M-90's they used to sell, think that one is one of the last five they sold. As far as other blowers, I'm sure there are a lot of ones out there for the 5.0 Mustang crowd. He has some better shots of the bay but this is on his build thread. He also has a good list of what all he bought, spend and made by selling/trading parts. Dan's not here as often as I am, I sold him the SC, he picked it up at 12:30 and had it on the motor at 7:30.
Dave of the Nord

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I think I can answer most of the questions from the last couple of posts. Dan is running the stock JY Explorer motor, stock ignition, stock manifolds, stock cam. Different cam is on his list. He is like a lot of us in today's economy, time and money are in short supply sometimes. That blower is one of the Explorer Express M-90's they used to sell, think that one is one of the last five they sold. As far as other blowers, I'm sure there are a lot of ones out there for the 5.0 Mustang crowd. He has some better shots of the bay but this is on his build thread. He also has a good list of what all he bought, spend and made by selling/trading parts. Dan's not here as often as I am, I sold him the SC, he picked it up at 12:30 and had it on the motor at 7:30.
Dave of the Nord
Thanks for the info Dave. Being on a budget like all of us, the C&L meters are great units. That link I gave above is for the 76mm unit.

I guess one important question is, what trans? The 4R70W?

EDIT: Are there any mods to the trans, torque converter, etc.?

Last edited:

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info Dave. Being on a budget like all of us, the C&L meters are great units. That link I gave above is for the 76mm unit.

I guess one important question is, what trans? The 4R70W?

EDIT: Are there any mods to the trans, torque converter, etc.?
Trans is a 2wd 4R70W out of an Explorer, Ditto on the Converter. Trans is untouched.

my tuner allows me to compensate for my injectors and mess with my shift firmness (sniper, 'delta force' tuner)

if 90% say 8lbs, I'd say sounds safe for me to go ahead and drop pulley along with one step colder plugs and just keep an eye on everything.

Mac answered the other questions it looks like, thanks man! :icon_bounceblue:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey Dan, good luck this week-end - keep it shiny side up! Don't lose the time slip, Mr "O" said something like that could be posted.
Dave of the Nord

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Trans is a 2wd 4R70W out of an Explorer, Ditto on the Converter. Trans is untouched.

my tuner allows me to compensate for my injectors and mess with my shift firmness (sniper, 'delta force' tuner)

if 90% say 8lbs, I'd say sounds safe for me to go ahead and drop pulley along with one step colder plugs and just keep an eye on everything.

Mac answered the other questions it looks like, thanks man! :icon_bounceblue:
My buddy ran 9lbs on his for a while. That motor has 190,000 miles on it now (no puffer anymore though).

You can probably liven things up a lot with a bad a$$ torque converter. They really aren't that bad price wise either.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
So the M90 is the one, why not an M112 or M122?? What intake design/setup are you using?? Thanks for the info and sweet setup you got there :icon_thumby:
SVT

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So the M90 is the one, why not an M112 or M122?? What intake design/setup are you using?? Thanks for the info and sweet setup you got there :icon_thumby:
SVT
Its a "Hybrid" M90, it was built by Magnuson with custom internals for this application with the Xcharger.

I wanted something super unique, and I am half way there :icon_thumby:

Fall I think I've confirmed my next shell already. 2001 Supercab, fleet side, 78K on the clock, tan interior, power windows/locks/doors/4dr/slider rear window.

Will be a spec heavier, but I'll be able to daily drive it without a problem, I'm tired of manual locks/windows, and would like more space (and just one truck)

and here's a little vid of the motor bay, and Idle/Rev.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAZBfjg7PGo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals