• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DBR/Giant 64 Ranger to Explorer

Quasi242

January 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
It starts again!

Here is a picture of my truck pre October 2010:

Specs:

2000 Ranger XLT 4X4. 3.0 V6
Dixon Brothers Racing (DBR) LT Kit
8" King Remote Reservoir Coil Overs
2"X2.5" King Hydraulic Bump Stops
Heim Steering
Giant 64 Long Travel Leaf Spring Kit
ADS 16" Triple Bypass Shocks
Ford F150 9.75 Axle w/ 4:88 Gears and Posi
Fiberwerxs 6" Fenders and Bedsides
6 315/70R17(35") BFG AT's
MasterCraft Baja RS Seats
ICOM Race Radio

It was a fun truck, but in October 2010 someone made an illegal left turn and hit me right behind the axle on the driver side front wheel. Here is the aftermath:

The insurance company only offered $5K and asked for a $1K buyback, so I hired a lawyer and filed a lawsuit. Almost two and a half years later, I have now settled the case and am able to move forward with another build.

The plan:

Build a Ford Explorer with the useable parts off of the Ranger (5 seats vs 2 seats)
Full safety cage
Try to modify the Dixon Kit to accept a bypass shock

A portion of my parts pile:

and, last but not least, the donor vehicle:

Specs:

1999 Explorer XLT 4X4, 4.0 SOHC
199K on original engine and transmission - still runs strong

Hopefully, I will begin to remove the interior this week and fabrication will begin within two weeks.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Man, if someone did that to me I'd cut their nuts off and hang them from a little chain off the hitch of my other vehicle.

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Spent a couple of hours last night removing the interior up to the front seats. Everything came out easier than I was expecting. Hopefully, I will have both trucks in the same location by a week from Thursday. Until then, not much more will get done.

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Small update:

Moved what remains of the Ranger to the same location as the Explorer. Pack rats had made a substantial nest under the hood. It took over 1/2 an hour to clean all of the cholla and crap out of the engine compartment before it could be moved.

The plan for the following week is take measurements off of the Ranger to figure out how to adapt the 64 kit to the Explorer, and continue with the removal of the interior and front body panels.

mercurymullet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mercury
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You have to run a full width rear axle or a shit load of lift to get the 64's in there. Or you could narrow the frame behind the axle for the reverse shackle to clear.

mercurymullet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mercury
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't notice you have a full size axle, sorry.

Smurf Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
I recognize that BII tank from CL.

The damage packrats can do in a matter of months is rather fantastic, they had my 01's cab completely filled when I went back to steel the seats out of it. Looking forward to see what comes of the new explorer!

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I recognize that BII tank from CL.

The damage packrats can do in a matter of months is rather fantastic, they had my 01's cab completely filled when I went back to steel the seats out of it. Looking forward to see what comes of the new explorer!
The BII tank is yours for free if you need one, I would love to get it out of my garage.

It stinks that they got into your cab. I was lucky and the only made a mess of my engine compartment. I should be posting another baby step update later tonight.

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Remainder of the interior out with the exception of the headliner and the dash. For right now I need to keep the Expo mobile under it's own power, so the remainder of the dash will need to stay until I have a dedicated spot for the truck to sit during fabrication.

Smurf Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
The BII tank is yours for free if you need one, I would love to get it out of my garage.
I'd grab it, but I'm giving up on my truck for now and in the market for a Sport Track instead. I'm spending more and more time going slow over rocks than fast down the power lines.

Is the explorer getting gutted for cage work or to just lighten the load? Are you just going to junk the rest of the old ranger or try and put it to a new use?

Last edited:

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
BII tank will work for a linked SportTrac as well. I originally picked it up because I wanted to link the Explorer.

The Explorer is getting gutted for a cage. As for the Ranger I am going to remove what is useable and will scrap the rest. The frame and cab are dented up.

Smurf Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
The advantage of the explorer is that the wider frame lets you use a rear tank from an E series vehicle that wont require any strange conversions to an old style pump. That being said leaves are just so much easier to deal with, especially in the back.

Let me know before you send the old ranger away, I'm sure there are a few parts I could use and make worth your while.

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The advantage of the explorer is that the wider frame lets you use a rear tank from an E series vehicle that wont require any strange conversions to an old style pump. That being said leaves are just so much easier to deal with, especially in the back.

Let me know before you send the old ranger away, I'm sure there are a few parts I could use and make worth your while.
That's true. The sending unit issues between OBD1 OBD2 vehicles is one of the main reasons that I changed my mind on the BII tank.

PM me a list of what you are looking for. I am certainly interested in offsetting the cost of this new project.

mercurymullet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mercury
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's true. The sending unit issues between OBD1 OBD2 vehicles is one of the main reasons that I changed my mind on the BII tank.

PM me a list of what you are looking for. I am certainly interested in offsetting the cost of this new project.

I kept the stock tank, and haven't had any problems.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals