• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Driving schools

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Been looking into a career change, I've driven semi trucks around the ranch and it seems like a feasible option for me. I notice that the schools all seem to cost around 5 grand, and there are quite a few company sponsored programs.

Seems that company's like swift and Cr England are hiring any one they can. I assume this is because they have a shit program? I could only assume they basicly just throw you a Set of keys and you figure it out over a month period.

My buddy went thru a local school that had 1 on 1 training with lifetime job placement afterwards. He said they've been great. But it's also 5 grand. I have 2 grand in savings but that's a far cry from 5.

Not sure if I should continue saving or join a company program.

Any recommendations?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I drive a school bus and have trained Class A holders that went thru these supposed schools. Yes they can maneuver a vehicle but have no knowledge of anything else. Swift came and gave a talk to us when I was retiring from the army. said they had a program that would pay for their training but you had to sign a contract to work for them for I think it was 1 year, otherwise you paid for the training. Know of 1 guy that did it, he quit when the truck broke down in texas because they stopped paying him since he was not moving! Said he left the truck in place and caught a bus home.

Something to consider is to become a school bus driver, get a year or so experience then move over to one of the bus lines, tour bus places. Most school systems pay for the training, you pay for the physical and written stuff to get your permits to get certified/trained.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I would avoid Swift, from what I've gathered they have the most "aint care" in the business... not sure about Englund but haven't heard anything bad... The school bus thing probably wouldn't be a bad thought either...

Over there, ever get in the jet boat world? There's like 10 boat builders in the area, not recommending it as a career option as it sounds like most of the people move around from shop to shop... just mention it because my work supplies most of the inboard engines to the area...

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
I have driven for swift for 6 years and know multiple people who have been there 20 plus years. I've never had a problem with them at all. I started with absolutely no experience in the flat bed division and now I'm on a dedicated run and have been home everyday for over a year and make a pretty good living.
The thing is that when you decide to drive a truck for a living you have to give up a lot in the beginning. You may not get back home for over a month and when you do it's only for a few days. You get paid to keep the truck moving, the more you drive the more you make. It's more of a life style than a job.
I got into this after a divorce as a way to get away from all the bs that was going on and ended up really enjoying it.
Swift and knight transportation merged earlier this year and things are getting even better everyday.

Keep this in mind when making your decision it's a very demanding job and you are pretty much on your own the majority of the time. The people who complain about the big companies are the ones that don't really understand going in how driving works. Starting out its really hard work.
If you have any questions I'd be glad to help.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I also got my CDL from driving a school bus. And the training was free. Cost about 100 after getting the permit. And paying for the road test. Really not bad at all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals