• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

83/84 2.3 Vacuum diagram

insane302cancan

EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey you guys.. new member here.. anyways, i just recently picked up a 1984 ford ranger with a 2.3L Carbureted engine. i bought it from the original owner with a blown head gasket. the original owner decided to try and fix it himself. so he pulled the vacuum lines apart and didnt mark any of them...

I wanted to know if it would be possible to get a good detailed vacuum diagram for this engine. Or a nice detailed pictures... if anyone has a 2.3 carbed ranger, please PM or Email me.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
You might need to go to a Ford dealership for this but, in Canada anyway, there should be a little sticker with the vac diagram on it under the hood. If you don't see one, try a junkyard to see if they have them.

The 2.3 is usually pretty simple as far as vac lines go, and you really only need one to run the engine...the one that goes from the distrbutor to the manifold for vacuum advance...the rest are usually just emission controls...there is also one from the EGR to the manifold that might be needed and you will see a nipple on the EGR valve...just run a hose from that to the tree on the manifold (use the upper manifold connections for both the distributor and the EGR since they tend to be better).

Depending on the carb, you may have two or three vac line attachments that can be used...do you have a pic of the carb?

insane302cancan

EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yea, i dont have any with me right now.. i will get some tuesday i think.. i believe its the stock single barrel one. but, i live in cali, so i need all of them hooked up because of the emmissions. the sticker wont work because the front clip was replaced with a bronco 2 clip. and the 83 84 rangers are hard to come by in our junk yards... all of them are fuel injected. but thanks for the tips.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Does Cali not have a 20 year exemption or 'rebuild' clauses? In Canada they do...and we pretty much model everything after California in Ontario...

If your vehicle can be considered 'rebuilt' or is over 20 years old there are exemptions that have much lower test requirements...

Mine had a 2.9 in it originally, and I did quite a few mods including installing a 2.3 and this makes it a 'rebuilt vehicle'...plus it's already over 20 years old...I haven't gone through the emissions part of getting it on the road due to still rebuilding it, but I'm sure it will be much easier to pass (hopefully)...

If you can't do it by the book then maybe there is a way around it for you...check with the DOT for clairification on that if you go that route...

I'm not familiar with the one barrel carbs but did try one on my Ranger from a Mustang...ran great but I couldn't get it to idle properly due to some missing controls or something...ended up swapping in a different 2 barrel that worked much better...mine was originally a 2.0 with so many vacuum lines and connectors that I spent quite a few hours trying to figure it all out before deciding to just change it for something better...

Hope if works out for you...post a pic if you can and maybe someone who's familiar with that setup can help...

insane302cancan

EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ya in california its smogged exempts if its 1973 or older. if not, then it has to be smogged. no matter what. no rebuild clause or anything. what alot of us have been doing is registering our vehicles in a different state like arizona do to their very laxed emission laws.

I did find a guy on cardomain with the same exact setup as mine... so ill add the link here...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543757

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Wow! Awesome link...

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Glad I found this thread since I have a similar problem. 84, 2.0. Refuses to idle or run right because (I think) serious vacuum issues. WHy do I need 20 vacuum lines on a 1-bbl 4 cyl engine? Shouldn't I be able to cap all but the line to the distributor and the power brakes? And the electrical connector that goes to the side of the carb, can't remember what it is called, but it has a two wire flat connector. Which is + and which is -? My plug is broken so I can't determine which way it is supposed to go.

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
Glad I found this thread since I have a similar problem. 84, 2.0. Refuses to idle or run right because (I think) serious vacuum issues. WHy do I need 20 vacuum lines on a 1-bbl 4 cyl engine? Shouldn't I be able to cap all but the line to the distributor and the power brakes? And the electrical connector that goes to the side of the carb, can't remember what it is called, but it has a two wire flat connector. Which is + and which is -? My plug is broken so I can't determine which way it is supposed to go.
All the vacuum lines are for emissions. Check all the vacuum hoses for cracks and breaks. The link in the quote below also has wiring diagrams in it under electrical. You can use it to check wire colors to determine polarity.

This link has vac diagrams and such. Login and password is library. It's under emissions.
http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?authtype=url,uid

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
OK, it's called a fuel control solenoid. That link didn't give polarity, but it did help some. After the rebuild of the carb and plugging all lines, it runs fairly good. Timing is off and that is easily fixable. However, it is blowing OUT the oil filler cap hose. Shouldn't that be sucking IN at that location? The PCV valve is good and connected. But when the engine revs, it blows out of the oil filler cap and if you really rev it, the dipstick blows out and oil goes everywhere.

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like bad rings. You need to do a dry and wet compression test. Pull the plugs and see what they look like. If one of them looks wet and smells of gas, that is most likely it.

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Good idea. Thanks for the tips and sorry for hijacking the thread.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
However, it is blowing OUT the oil filler cap hose...blows out of the oil filler cap and if you really rev it, the dipstick blows out and oil goes everywhere.
Had the same problem with my 2.0...it might be a hole in a piston or bad rings...

It could also be crud in the PCV system...there is a little cannister under the intake manifold that is supposed to help vent the engine...make sure your PCV valve is working (shake it...if it rattles it's usually OK)...replace it if necessary...and also check the base of the carb for buildup of crud in there...you may need to remove the carb to do this (i'd do the compression test first to save time) because that's the other end of the vent (between the cannister and the carb you should find the PCV)...the connector at the base of the carb also vents to the EGR on some models and if you've got a buildup in any of those areas you will get oil blowing out of the top and dipstick...usually fills up the breather with oil and causes oil to get into the air/fuel mixture...so it could fool you into thinking the rings are shot...mine were and I ended up replacing the block...

Hope that's not the case for you...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals