• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

#5 cyl low compression ,#5 misfire code ?

searanger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi all , My 2000 3.0 has 100psi on # 5 and 150psi on the rest ,only 117,000 miles on engine. Will a rebuilt head solve this problem ? can a lower end issue be possible at this early stage? Ive read these heads are prone to cracking in between the valves. No coolant loss or water in oil or anything . Im just praying I can pull the heads and have them rebuilt to solve this problem. Is there any issues in doing this job that are unconventional or that I should be aware of . thanks a lot for input on this as there is nothing on the tech page about it. :icon_cheers:

skyjack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
FORD-Fix Our Rust Daily
I just went through this on my 2001 3.0 with 126000 miles. Tons of info online about this problem if you Google it. Mine was #4 cylinder, and it was a bad exhaust valve seat. This is a too common problem with these heads. If you don't hear an obvious valve tap from your cyl 5 while it's running, then most likely it's the valve seat. Valve tap would indicate a broken or weak valve spring.

To diagnose, I removed the valve cover, and rotated the engine until both valves were completely closed on the bad cylinder. I took the hose from my compression tester and screwed it into the sparkplug hole. Hooked an air line with low pressure (10lbs) to it through the quick connect fitting, and listened for the hissing which was heard at the exhaust tailpipe. This indicated that the exhaust valve was not fully seated. Hissing from the intake manifold indicates a bad intake valve seat.

After removing both heads, I turned them upside down and poured water over the valve heads to see if they would hold back water. 4 out of 6 exhaust valve seats were leaking. #4 ex valve let the water escape at the fastest rate. All intake valves had a tight seal.

I bought rebuilt heads from ebay for $350 for a set of 2. They came with new head bolts and head gaskets. They're working great so far. PM me if you'd like the seller's information. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals