• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stalled and won’t start

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If an intake valve is not closing then air would be forced into the intake on compression stroke, this would make a louder noise like when you crank an engine with a spark plug removed.
This air would come out the air cleaner.
So yes this could prevent a 4cyl engine from starting, reverse air flow out of the intake.

Stuck open exhaust valve would just cause a misfire of that one cylinder.

But in the Lima engine I would suspect a rocker causing this issue not the valve itself, its not letting the valve close.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Before taking that 'stuck valve' explanation and making plans for repair/replacement, I would definitely remove the cam cover and inspect each follower. A stuck valve would be lower than the others, and maybe cause clacking. It should be visible.
You could also thump each of the valve stem tips, via the follower, with a hammer held by the head. The handle won't hurt anything, and you have enough mass to be able to depress the valve & spring. All valves should give way to the thump, and spring back.
You can 'walk' through the firing order, 1342, and make sure the valves you thump should be closed at the time, or just whack 'em all. If one is 'down', it may be stuck, only explanation I can come up with. If so, thump on that one more to see if it can be loosened.
If all are ok, rent a new mechanic.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals