• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Help for new project

sasquatch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay guy and gals, I have a question. I am new to therangerstation and am hoping someone has an answer or easier solution to the project I have going on. Here are the facts:
I have the 96 Ranger 3.0 with the standard tranny and 4WD.
I purchased a 99 explorer 5.0 and kept the engine, tranny and EMS to swap into the ranger.
I would like to get rid of the AWD and keep it a standard. The plan is to swap in the 5.0 and delete the transmission codes from the EMS.
Where I am stuck and need help is with transmission choice. I was told the only transmission that was configured to a 4WD would be the ZF6. Because the T5 and T56 would not be able to withstand the load. If I use the ZF6, What bellhousing bolt pattern do I need for it to bolt up to the 99 5.0 V8?

Thanks for your help!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

1996 to 2001 Explorers used the Windsor 302(5.0l) V8 engine

The Ford 4.2l V6 used the same Windsor bolt pattern as the V8, 1997 and up

So you will want an M5OD-R2(M5R2) manual transmission AND Transfer case(these were made for V8 power), from a 4WD 1997 to 2003 Ford F-150 that had a 4.2l V6

You can use earlier model M5R2/transfercase from a 4WD 5.0l V8 as well, but shifter was farther forward, the 1997 and up 4.2L V6 M5R2 was farther back and matched Ranger shifter placement.
But you can cut new hole in the floor and have the shift arm custom bent, so not a big deal, just less hassle with the V6 M5R2

The 4.2L bellhousing bolt holes are metric, so you need to drill them out about 1/8" inch so the SAE 5.0l bolts will fit

Good page to book mark here: http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/

Look in the engine section for V8 swap info

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals