• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How I Was Able to Fit Two 10" Subs in a Single Cab

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a 1996 Ranger single cab with the five speed manual, :headbang: a Sony Xplod head unit powering 4 Kicker DS680's, and a Kicker 10CVT104 (note: shallow mount) powered by a Visonik 800 Watt, 400 RMS amp @ 4 ohms. I wanted to ditch the Kicker. The brand is highly overrated and very over-priced. They make a lot of loud noise but that's just it, noise. I want to hear music, not BWWAAAHHHH. It wasn't clear, had no lows, and distorted very easily. I wanted to ditch the thing for something with good lows. At fist I looked at Elemental Designs' SQ10 because it was shallow and required very little airspace ( .3 cu ft minimum). They had fantastic customer service but I had to cancel my order with them because the particular sub I bought because they are in a parts shortage for that sub and I was told that it would take about two months for them to start production again, about a month ago. At that point I just wanted to look elsewhere, so I did. Even though their customer service was A+++ I just didn't want to wait. So I started to look elsewhere for other shallow subs but nothing could surpass my Kicker, unfortunately. So I started to look at full-size subs thinking I could maybe find a way to fit one in there. I found a few that fit the dimensions I measured but the max power ratings were literally half what I had coming from the amp. Than I had a genius moment, I'll buy TWO!!! I had it narrowed down to a Boston G11044, a Rockford Fosgate, and JL Audio pair of subs, all of which can be compared here: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/compare_items.php?sort_order=/viewcat.php?category_id=40&sort_order=price_asc&price_min=50&price_max=130&scrollTop=200&items_per_page=100&f_627=2357&product_id[]=33741&product_id[]=25660&product_id[]=10216&button=Compare . I will say that the Boston was $70 back when I bought it.

So after much debate with myself and others I went with the sub that had the best specs of the three, the Boston G110-44. As soon as I ordered the sub I got to work on making the box. I picked up a sheet of 1/2" MDF, a sheet of 3/4" MDF, glue, and wood screws at Home Depot. Using rough sketches and the top mount depth given in the specs then I got to work on the design. The Kicker was sitting in a sealed .8 cu ft box that measured 3"TD x 8"BD x 13"W x 12"H in a box with 3/4" MDF. So I decided to modify the the dimensions a little and came up with a box that was 36"s long (exact space between the speakers in the back of the truck) 12"s tall, had a 7 1/2" BD, and a 3 1/4" TD.

See that center section? That's where the amp is going and there is actually a small pocket of air (a 1/2" pocket of air, to be exact) running behind that. the Bostons fit in with about a 1/4" to spare (whoop whoop for good design and execution :icon_hornsup:). Now because this thing has much more excursion than the Kicker (1 3/4" peak to peak vs. nothing for thew Kicker :icon_twisted:) I had to move the bok back a wee bit. so I decided to take a peek behind the crappy back board slid into there and found space, like a lot of space. I probably gained a 1/2" more room by doing that.

I put her in there to test for any air leaks or rattles and it passed the test with flying colors! I mounted the top portion of the box to the back wall to keep its 45 LBS of girth from moving forward every time I stop. I cut out the bottom 12"s of the backboard (yay simple dimensions!!!) and slid the top portion back in there just so I don't have to see the obnoxious (on the inside) red panel of sheet metal.

I know the pic doesn't look good but it gives you a good idea of where everything is.

I just got done putting on some spray-on bed-liner on it last night to give it a slightly rugged (Rangers are trucks too, you know!!!), and rough look. I don't have a pic of it inside the truck yet but here it is outside of it...

The thing sounds GREAT and I'm absolutely satisfied with my purchase! I already got a noise complaint last night and I only had my volume at 19/50. :icon_rofl:

If you guys want all of the exact dimensions, just reply or PM me.

And BTW, FAIL TOYOTA ECHO GT-R at Home Depot!!! :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That things got to be pretty fast it has flames coming off the tires.

mdn14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think I'll be going with 2 10" jl audio subs after I upgrade now seeing I could get 2 in a single cab! I have an 8" kicker L7 and it beats pretty good and is accurate in my box but I know I can do better. And the sound quality ain't too fantastic either.

Last edited:

JohnnyUhlar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
this thread is awesome! way to go on the project and nice work. im trying to do something similar but have yet to make a decision. ill probably end up doing exactly what you did. it looks great and obviously its loud enough. about how much did you spend all together?

cheeseburgerdave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
heyyyyy whats up guys???? my ford ranger splash regular cab was defs more difficult then the old s10 regular cab i had haha less room for some reason!
i went with a kicker on my stereo for the rangerr

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_30578_Kicker_10TCVT122.aspx

cheap,tiny and very loud lol!! was very simple to install just a quick cut out of the interior and whala lol seats go all the way back too which is a plus!
Dimensions: 3-7/8"TD x 6-5/16"BD x 11-3/8"H x 19-11/16"W
and this site is perfect. ordered errrmmm 6 times fair size purchases and have had no issues. plus i live in canada haahah could post a quick pick if anyone thinking about it =S

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals