• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

can't pull codes..

Black2000Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello!
I recently changed the engine and transmission in my 2000 ranger and everything runs perfect. The whole time I have had a CEL on but haven't really paid much attention to it as I was just happy to have my truck back.

So just now I decided I would pull the codes and fix whatever the issue was.. Plugged in the code reader..... Nothing. The code reader doesn't even turn on... I didn't swap computers or anything, my thoughts are perhaps a ground issue? Anyone run into this problem before?
Thanks
Scott

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
are you key on ignition off? Needs to be there to read.

Second, check your cigarette lighter fuse. On my 99 I had a short in the outlet and that fuse powered pin 15 (or whatever the obd II power pin is), which left it unable to turn the scan tool on.

Not sure if that could be your problem but it's an idea.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Pin 16 is power actually, my bad. Pin 5 is ground.

Check to make sure you have power at pin 16 was the point of my thing about the fuse.

Black2000Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
hmm the cigarette lighter plus the power outlet are on the same fuse right?

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Second, check your cigarette lighter fuse. On my 99 I had a short in the outlet and that fuse powered pin 15 (or whatever the obd II power pin is), which left it unable to turn the scan tool on.

Not sure if that could be your problem but it's an idea.
That's probably it. Your cig. lighter and aux. socket are NOT on the same fuse. The lighter is fuse 17 and the aux. socket is fuse 22. That's where I'd start.

Black2000Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
That's probably it. Your cig. lighter and aux. socket are NOT on the same fuse. The lighter is fuse 17 and the aux. socket is fuse 22. That's where I'd start.
I'll check it tomorrow, I just replaced the fuse for the aux socket I guess. I thought it was strange that the cigarette lighter still didn't work. I don't have a owners manual so I didn't know where to look other than pulling fuses and seeing if they are blown or not.
I'll keep you posted, thanks!
Scott

Black2000Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Chance- You were dead on. Thanks

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome this just let me know alot cause I just got a big R on my windshield at inspection station, and my cig lighter stopped working shortly before. Damn I don't have a thing to check current or amps/wats n such anymore... I IATA use the one at my commo shop while in army... Ugh.. Hmmm. Time to fix some shiznat... But I also dont have an obd ii scanner I'll have to have the inspection station do it, not sure how many times they'll check for free.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals