• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Chevy v8

loud pipes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/94
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
okay don't hate that i'm asking this but has anyone put a chevy 350 in a ranger? reason i'm asking is because i have a 94 ranger and my buddy just pulled a 350 out and has no use for it. thanks:headbang:

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
...Before you expect so much out of your ranger, why don't you go into the garage, shut the door, and have a little one-to-one time with her. Make sure this is what she wants. Most Rangers are purebred, and tell her that after the operation she will be a "mutt". After all, it might be to embarassing to pop her hood and show off a little because of the bowtie emblems. Other rangers might pick on her. She might get humiliated by a 5.0L ranger at the strip. Let her know there will be a lot of pain involved. All her wires will be cut and rerouted. Her motor mounts will be removed and custom ones will have to be implimented. Her radiator will be torn out for that of a chevrolet style. Make sure she's okay with the idea of you spending so much money on her. (Most rangers are low maintenance and do not want that much money spent on them... unless its for a mustang transplant or supercharger) This talk with her might take a while, but if she understands and accepts, go forth and do it.

loud pipes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/94
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
well let me tell u all the story. the truck i have is not road worthy. The 4 banger is shot and has 700,000,000 miles on it. the trans and clutch is gone and it is got some rust. The only thing i thought was to build a mud truck out of it because i got it, and all my buddies don't have any ford stuff, only chevy......so that is why I asked. anyway i did talk to her and she said whatever makes you happy she will be happy. lol:icon_welder:

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
If it makes her happy! Is this truck a 4x4 or RWD? If all your buds are chevrolet fans, then 1:I'm sorry for you and 2:they probably have more experience and parts for chevrolets to help you out. If you are building a mud truck, then generally you can get away without all the cosmotology(sp) associated with street builds. Since it was a 2.3L you have a 7.5" axle. I would swap this out. If it is 4 wheel drive, you probably have a Dana 28 and I would strongly recommend upgrading to a D35 twin traction beam set up. The front coil springs are to weak and the front will sag with a V8. But, I assume if you are going to build a mud truck out of it, you will already be focusing on the suspension. Find some block-hugger headers. You might end up having to put another joint in the steering shaft to clear the driver's side. If the truck will be purely offroad, run some zoomie headers through the hood!!! I have experience with a SBF transplant into a '93 ranger 2wd that was originally a 2.3L 5 speed so I can give you general tips but my truck wont see mud and I don't have much experience with chevrolet so the specifics will have to come from your friends or other members.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Gotta----I M proud of ya----if your enemy asks u to go 1 mile for them, go two ----u did :icon_hornsup:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
run what ya got.

its your truck.

loud pipes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/94
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
gotta_gofast...I thank you for the input. Bobby i thank you also for the run what you have. My plans are a whole chevy setup. axles, motor and 4speed. i am going to make everything the same setup so i don't have to put this motor with this trans to this trans case etc. Look i am a cheep redneck fabercator. money has always been a issue in my life so when a opporunity comes along that may junk up my yard, 9 out of 10 times i have to jump on it. lmao:icon_welder: anyway here is some pictures toys i have made over the years redneck. thanks

this is my golfcart:shok: a 500cc snowmobile engine i got for free powers it.:icon_thumby:

this is posted in another form. my old mud truck

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You will of course hear a lot of flack about it but it's not to hard. Been done a lot. Check the search or tech section.
Sounds like fun but not for me.
Dave

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Dude, **** the ranger with a 350... put that 350 in the golf cart!?!? I'm just playin, lol. At least you'll have Ford's good looks on your side. Its best to run a full GM set up for ease. Especially if you are fabricating most of the stuff yourself. Try to sneak some chevrolet leafs for the truck, too. If you are using full size axles, the tires will stick out and be very wide compared to the Ranger's body. But, if its a mud truck then thats only going to get your truck muddier and throw up higher rooster tails! lol

I took a way different approach to my truck, but my goals were very different from yours. There's one thing all of us V8 swap guys share... hours of fun with friends and a garage fridge full of beer! If you do decide to go through with the swap, please start a thread and take pictures of your progress. Some of the people might pick on you for it, but a TRUE car enthusiast enjoys all cars while prefering one brand, instead of worshiping one brand and hating the rest. I myself enjoy all cars whether it be a rusty sleeper or an italian exotic. From 4x4s to muscle cars. And even some import cars if they built them with turbos and AWD (not civics and junk).

7.5L_STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
unnecessary
Transmission
Automatic
[/quote]

HOLY BODY LIFT BATMAN!!:D

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Build the BASTARD!!!

...Before you expect so much out of your ranger, why don't you go into the garage, shut the door, and have a little one-to-one time with her. Make sure this is what she wants. Most Rangers are purebred, and tell her that after the operation she will be a "mutt". After all, it might be to embarassing to pop her hood and show off a little because of the bowtie emblems. Other rangers might pick on her. She might get humiliated by a 5.0L ranger at the strip. Let her know there will be a lot of pain involved. All her wires will be cut and rerouted. Her motor mounts will be removed and custom ones will have to be implimented. Her radiator will be torn out for that of a chevrolet style. Make sure she's okay with the idea of you spending so much money on her. (Most rangers are low maintenance and do not want that much money spent on them... unless its for a mustang transplant or supercharger) This talk with her might take a while, but if she understands and accepts, go forth and do it.
==========================================
AAWWWW...........such a cute story! But she will totally understand that it's a practical & least expensive route, and she will know that what Daddy says goes.:yahoo: AND, I wouldn't worry bout any lil' 5.0's, unless they've had a bunch of $ stuffed in em, they won't have anythin for ya!!!
Only way the swap would be a PITA, is if it's a 4x4, that's a whole nother story that I can't fill in the blanks for ya...SORRY!

loud pipes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/94
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
you know that is a ghood idea. when i get all my stuff together i will make a post and do it up. by the way i once thought of a rx7 motor in the golfcart. :icon_hornsup:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
:icon_rofl:Somehow "loud pipes" and "350 Chevy" just go together.:icon_rofl: Everytime I hear loud pipes, it's another Chevy going by. :icon_rofl:

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
==========================================
AAWWWW...........such a cute story! But she will totally understand that it's a practical & least expensive route, and she will know that what Daddy says goes.:yahoo: AND, I wouldn't worry bout any lil' 5.0's, unless they've had a bunch of $ stuffed in em, they won't have anythin for ya!!!
Only way the swap would be a PITA, is if it's a 4x4, that's a whole nother story that I can't fill in the blanks for ya...SORRY!

Yeah, it might get past a 5.0, but just wait until it meets a 2.3 being force-fed at 23 PSI. :icon_rofl:

loud pipes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/94
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Gotta go fast.......Guess what i got today. Its not a chevy.lol My friend form cleveland called me and he just got a new truck. said that his old truck is mine. 92 150. roted to hell but got a good running 302 bad part is it 2wd. :yahoo:

So how do i make a fuel injected motor a carb??? less wires the better...thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals