• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 B2 0.0 Mechanical Experience Trainwreck

Aerkusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1991, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1990 B2 Zero Mechanical Experience Trainwreck

I got this 1990 BII thrown in on a trade a while ago. It's 4x4 with Automatic Transmission.

I've never done anything more than changing oil or replacing an alternator before, but I've always wanted to learn.

I drove it around a bit (before the brakes went out) to get a feel for it, and the engine sucks. I imagine a brand new 2.9L isn't anything to write home about, and this thing is not brand new.

Luckily (?) I found a rusty 1991 Eddie Bauer Ford Exploder on the cheap.

SO, I am currently removing the engine and transmission from the BII. Once it's out, I'm going to run new stainless steel brake lines throughout, and then put in the engine and Transmission (and rear axle?) from the Exploder.

Or at least that's the plan.

Pop some popcorn and find somewhere comfortable to watch this trainwreck.

Last edited:

Aerkusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1991, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So far I have removed all the bolt-on components from the engine compartment.

The A/C was long, long dead, so I went ahead and disconnected the hoses. Removed the Alternator and Power Steering Pump.

I tried to drain the coolant from the radiator, but only a drip was coming out of the drain nozzle on the passenger side at the bottom. At least I think it was a drain nozzle. I figured the coolant had leaked out and started removing the radiator.

The coolant had not leaked out. Either that wasn't a drain or it was plugged with rust. When the bottom hose came off it geyser'd coolant into my boots. Neat.

Anyways, Radiator out, coolant drained into my boots. Engine oil drained (correctly!), Power steering fluid drained (incorrectly.), transmission fluid drained (correctly!), starter motor removed, air cleaner removed, intake manifold removed, Fuel injectors removed (prior to me learning how to relieve fuel tank pressure... but I didn't blow up the garage).

I got an engine hoist, and bolted it to what I thought might be the correct placed on the engine block (they are most likely not the correct places).

Oh yea, after breaking off a couple rusted bolts from the exhaust manifold in the engine block, I just sawzalled the exhaust off. I also took the driveshaft off for the rear wheels but I don't have the 12-pt sockets small enough for the front drive shaft, so I haven't attempted that one yet.

Now I need to get the bolts from the transmission mounting plate out and then either drop the transmission down to take out the bellhousing bolts, or try and pull the whole transmission out with the engine after disconnecting the transfer case.

And we're all caught up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
looks like a good solid b2. the valve you tried to open is the petcock on the radiator they usually don't drain worth a damn or break. The best way to drain a radiator fast is by pulling the lower hose off, although it can be a bit messy. your plan seems solid, keep us updated.

Aerkusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1991, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ah, well it did drain fast. Wish I would have thought ahead and had a bucket ready. It looks like the radiator was replaced, it had grease pen '91 ranger' on it. I got some penetrating oil for the transmission mounts and the rest of the exhaust. It has a weird short exhaust that's definitely not stock.

I started to remove the transmission oil cover. The shop manual said to start at the back and move to the front and then place the tray under to drain it. I was pretty unsure about how it wasn't going to just start leaking as soon as I got a couple bolts loose. After I had about 6 bolts out, I was starting to feel a little more confident to wheel under it and go for the 7th. Of course, then it started dripping. Another mess.

Last edited:

Aerkusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1991, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sick. Yesterday I slept all afternoon and evening. Tonight I felt good enough to work on it, but I get frustrated really easily when I feel like crap. With some propane torch and PB blaster, I got the Transmission mounting bolts out. I hit my head on the stupid short pipe exhaust thing someone threw on there, so I got pissed and cut it off.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You can usually get the 12 point bolts with a combination wrench. I believe it's 8mm or 5/16". {those are within a few % of being the same size.}

Aerkusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1991, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I got a socket set to fit it. But I think your suggestion will work better due to clearance.

Aerkusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1991, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Disconnected the front drive axle, (thanks alwaysflooreD), and got the transmission mounting bolts off. Picked up an electric impact wrench off Craigslist for $30. That helped.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That exhaust is a "glasspack" , lots of kids put them on instead of mufflers. If you need any advice feel free to pm me. I don't have much experience with BII's but I have a lot of time under rangers. Lol

Aerkusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1991, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've already gotten quite a bit of good advice, and I also pore over the pictures of your guys' shops/builds to see if I can spot things that make my life easier. And thanks! I definitely will PM you if I get stuck and there aren't any answers in here!

Aerkusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1991, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Friday I got some of those RhinoGear Rhino Ramps off a guy on craigslist for $10. Figured I'd get some more clearance under my bronco plus free up my jackstands for transmission support duty.

Saturday was the Grand Irish Parade or whatever and various St Patrick's Day Weekend Shenanigans, so I didn't get anything done.

Then sunday I busted up my hand playing soccer, and couldn't even hold a wrench. So all I ended up doing was getting it on the ramp and trying to figure out where the engine-to-transmission bolts are.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A hint about soccer, use feet not hands, lol.

sent while sitting on the throne

Aerkusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1991, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well it's a little late for that now, coach!

I'm gonna milk this big swollen thumb for some sympathy this week and I'll be back to work on the bronc before the weekend.

Aerkusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1991, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It's been over a year so my thumb is better now. The 4.0 is in. Got it professionally rebuilt, even if the bastards took all summer and fall doing it. Mostly because one of the head bolts was rotted. Needed someone with a welder to get it out anyways and while I was there told them to just rebuild it. Got it back a few weeks ago, put on the water pump, thermostat, exhaust manifolds, harmonic balancer, and threw it in the truck.

It won't take my file uploads so I'll add pictures later.

Oh yea and a bought a full-size bronco to go along with it.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals