• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

03 Clutch fluid issue!

Jbrussee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi I just recently (in the last three weeks) replaced my clutch and slave cyl. I followed guides and had help to do the whole thing. I first had the fluid filled with brake fluid, DOT 3/4.. then I read that in my truck I should use Mercon V ATF fluid.. So I did, and it ran for a day, but last night the pedal went to the floor, and the fluid squirts out of the top of the clutch reservoir.. Should I try and bleed DOT 3/4 back into it? help?

Dale_K

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
I think the cap on the clutch reservoir says DOT3. My 2006 says that. The transmission uses Mercon, not the clutch hydraulics. I'd try to flush it out with DOT3 but don't know if that will bring it back to life or not.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The best description that I know for your situation is as follows:

You are attached to another object by an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis.

ATF will generally float on top of brake fluid, but will eventually work it's way down into the system, and it will destroy the rubber seals in every part it touches. You now need to replace the master, slave, and line.

Jbrussee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The best description that I know for your situation is as follows:

You are attached to another object by an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis.

ATF will generally float on top of brake fluid, but will eventually work it's way down into the system, and it will destroy the rubber seals in every part it touches. You now need to replace the master, slave, and line.
I just purchased the kit: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Clutch-Master-Cylinder/2003-Ford-Ranger-2WD/_/N-jkceoZ6o23x?itemIdentifier=302208_917855_18116_

is there a good guide on replacing the master cylinder? I figure I'll do the slave just like I did last time, then after putting the tranny back on, before putting the line back into the slave, I'll swap out the master cylinder.

The real nice thing about this kit, is the prefilled master cylinder.

Dale_K

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Post up how it works when you install it. I like the idea of a pre-filled system but I've never done one.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have done the pre-filled ones before and I love them. They are absolutely wonderful.

Jbrussee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have done the pre-filled ones before and I love them. They are absolutely wonderful.
So does my method sound good? To do the slave first, than master
After?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just did a clutch master and slave in my truck two weeks ago, and I chose to drop the transmission, then switch out the master cylinders while I had more space, and then reinstall the trans. It worked out pretty well without having to fight the transmission there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals