• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Differential maintenance questions

Justinwashere

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2001 ford ranger xlt with the 4.0 sohc and it has 4.10 gears in the rear end and I need to change the diff fluid. My question is can I use a synthetic 75w-90 instead of the recommended 80w-90, and what do you think of lube locker gaskets?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Yeah, should be fine. Though the consensus is that unless you have a fancy/special thing going on with your diff, it's kind of a economic waste. Might actually leak more, as the full synthetic will find it's way through smaller spaces.

As for the lube locker, never used it personally. But make sure you have a sturdy diff cover. I'd kinda say only a cast cover or something really stiff. I wouldn't use it if you have one of the plastic ones.

Edit: Make sure you get that fill plug loose BEFORE you pull the cover. Otherwise you're going to have a very not fun time trying to fill it back up.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If the fill plug is stuck, add it through the ABS sensor, it's a nice big hole...

Justinwashere

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
lube locker make great gaskets. but i still prefer rtv

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, I don't waste money on diff cover gaskets. Permatex makes a gear oil specific RTV, or I use Motorcraft TA-29 grey, which ever is more readily available at the moment (so which ever tube I find first in my drawer). That is all that is needed. If you put a gasket in you still need sealer.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going to be ordering one of these for my truck soon. Already have one on my Lightning, and I like both my trucks to be somewhat the same as far as additions. Plus there is a fill and drain hole on the cover, no more removing the cover to drain the fluid. I change my diff. fluid more frequently than is probably necessary, so this will be a nice addition. And just by the way, when I installed the cover on my Lightning, I used the supplied gasket only. No sealer and it hasn't leaked a single drop in two years. Possibly because of how thick it is, it doesn't warp between the bolts like a sheet metal cover does. TA covers are near 3/4 of an inch thick at the mounting surface. Did have to put some teflon tape on the two bolts that but up against the bearing caps, as they do tend to weep a little bit.

http://www.taperformance.com/products.asp?cat=52

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals