• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'86 4x4 2.9 swap for V-8 5.0/C4 Recommendations

Rev

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
1986 4x4 Extended Cab STX completely stock.

The time has come to swap the old 2.9 for a 5.0.

I've read through the V-8 posts and the Tech Library several times. This swap is definitely beyond me as there seems to be some additional fabrication required and I have zero welding skills.

Most swap info doesn't specify additional info for a 4x4, which I'm assuming complicates things?

Anyone in NorCal (Sacramento region) completed this swap?
Recommendations for shops that can do this work?
Recommendations for shade-tree mechanics that are willing to make a few under the table bucks to help me get this done?

I can get my hands on donor vehicles without a problem. I also have access to a cherry picker and plenty of tools.

Referrals to honest, hard-working enthusiasts welcome!
Any words of encouragement are also welcome!!

88302Camotruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I did mine in an 88 with no welding involved. I used an AOD with a advance adapter shaft and adapter so everyting mated up as stock. There is more time spent in planning and wiring than the actual act. I over did my wiring and had duplicate wire I had to remove. If you go the C-6 route you may/will need to have the drive shafts made longer and some fab work for the trans crossmember.....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals