• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Proportioning valve stang rear disc swap 1st gen

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
Thinking of swaping to stock 94-up stang discs to my 83 ranger, the rear end is a 7.5 373 TL from a 90 Ranger.
I have 95-up front spindles and brakes on the truck now and will be upgrading to the sport trac rotors also.if I remember correctly I have a 88 master cylinder and 88 power brake booster on there also (swapped to that cause the truck had non assisted manual brakes originally)

So what master cylinder and booster do you guys run when swapping to rear disc and do you run a proportioning valve?

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I have cobra brakes all around on my '92 with the stock master/booster. I took out the abs module and installed a summit racing proportioning valve. I have been told the proportioning valve isn't necessary, but its on there already.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
No it isn't.

People point to all sorts of shit attached to brake systems and say "proportioning valve"

Typically what they are pointing to is a "pressure differential switch" which detects a partial system failure...

Rarely what they are pointing to is a "residual pressure valve" (typical for GM vehicles)

BRAKE PROPORTIONING is accomplished by mechanical means, typically by matching the rear components to the front components, but typing out a complete explanation is beyond my patience and attention span...

if you really have an issue you can buy an adjustable "proportioning valve"
these are typically installed in the engine compartment next to the master cylinder in the metal line to the rear brake hydraulic circuit, to limit rear line pressure.

Be aware, some states prohibit installing them where they are accessable to the driver when the vehicle is in motion...

I have an older Kelsey-Hayes valve around here somewhere, it has a knob for the adjustment, but the one I would buy myself is actually made by Tilton, it has a lever for adjustment and seven preset positions as well as a locking button to prevent unintentional adjustments...

Last edited:

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
ok so my stock 88 mc and booster should be fine, or i guess i will at least try it out that way first.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals