• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Keep an eye on the frame of your mid 90's truck!!!

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
regular and thorough under-body flushes well help keep crap from collecting on horizontal surfaces under the truck and causing them to rot out :icon_thumby:
Yes, I do that at least once a year. While at the car wash, get down on my knees and blast the entire underside with the high pressure wand. I've not noticed anything untoward going on under mine. Was recently on a lift at Sears, and I did a pretty thorough inspection of the bottom. Saw nothing to make me cringe.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
holy necrobump

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
:icon_rofl:

I thought it was recent...:)
Still applies!

Wife and I did a lot of looking for a replacement for our explorer (Frame is in excellent shape on it!!!....not bad for 245k and a 1995)...

Came across a large number of F150's with great looking bodies!!! But frames where Swiss Cheese.... Found 1 that was a 2001. Great looking body, needed rocker panels (like everything in this state). Went to do a frame inspection? From the rear axle back- Paper Thin!! I reached in and pulled about a 1/8" thick sheet of rotted metal off the frame.....

S-

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Still applies!

Wife and I did a lot of looking for a replacement for our explorer (Frame is in excellent shape on it!!!....not bad for 245k and a 1995)...

Came across a large number of F150's with great looking bodies!!! But frames where Swiss Cheese.... Found 1 that was a 2001. Great looking body, needed rocker panels (like everything in this state). Went to do a frame inspection? From the rear axle back- Paper Thin!! I reached in and pulled about a 1/8" thick sheet of rotted metal off the frame.....

S-
Definitely! My original frame was done in 2003 and when I scraped the truck in 2013 it was still solid from that effort. The 1996 frame was in better shape though and required almost no work to clean up and coat. I was not going to sink any time or money into the project without doing the frame properly.

Pays off in the long run for sure.

EDIT: I should clarify a bit...the 96 frame was in about the same shape as the 88 rust wise...but it was stronger and generally better made overall...

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i bought a 97 about 6 months ago that had a great body but when i pulled off the bed the frame was in really bad shape. kept the bed off to build a trailer out of and put a flatbed on the 97. ended up rolling it about a month ago while playing out in a field. just got a 94 with so,e issues, not as bad as the 97 though, damn salty roads in winter.

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, that didn't work. Let's try something else!
Another spot to check is the spring perches where they meet the frame for the front suspension. That's what nailed the coffin for the Farm Truck. I was putting the motor back in and looked down *through* the frame at the ground. The passenger side perch was starting to peel off of the frame, that's how bad it was.

Leaves and mud had collected behind the perch and were holding moisture against the frame there. So make sure to clean this area out once in a while!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Another spot to check is the spring perches where they meet the frame for the front suspension. That's what nailed the coffin for the Farm Truck. I was putting the motor back in and looked down *through* the frame at the ground. The passenger side perch was starting to peel off of the frame, that's how bad it was.

Leaves and mud had collected behind the perch and were holding moisture against the frame there. So make sure to clean this area out once in a while!
:icon_thumby:

I recommend this even though it never happened on my 88 Ranger. I met a guy who offered to sell me two of his Rangers for the motor but when I went over to check them out they were rusted through on the coil spring perches and the firewall.

That wouldn't affect the engines but it turned out they were much higher mileage than I wanted at the time...and the wiring was different...too much work

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals