• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

speedometer

joey7478

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 ranger
Make / Model
1990 ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 99 ranger that I'm putting in a v8. My problem is will the speedometor still work? I'm going carb and the distribitor that has one wire hook up so don't have much use for the computor. I'm pretty good at mecanical but not so much with wiring. Thanks joey!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Should still work as it uses the rear axle speed sensor(are you changing rear axle?) and the GEM(module) behind the radio to run the electronic speedometer.
GEM also runs cab electrics like dome lights, power windows, 4WD shifts, battery saver relay, keyless entry, ect.....

Computer is not involved with speedo in 1999

Computer is needed for newer automatic transmissions.
Basically early/mid 1980's and up.

If you are using a manual transmission or you are using 4WD and a transfercsae then you could find one with speedometer cable hook up, most 1997 and earlier had speedo cable hook up but had a Speed sensor in place of the cable, and that transmission mounted speed sensor(VSS) could work by wring it directly to speedometer, by-passing GEM.
If speedo is off because of tire size or axle ratio you just need to change the gear on this speedo cable hook up to match what you have, like the old days :)

Last edited:

joey7478

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 ranger
Make / Model
1990 ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Should still work as it uses the rear axle speed sensor(are you changing rear axle?) and the GEM(module) behind the radio to run the electronic speedometer.
GEM also runs cab electrics like dome lights, power windows, 4WD shifts, battery saver relay, keyless entry, ect.....

Computer is not involved with speedo in 1999

Computer is needed for newer automatic transmissions.
Basically early/mid 1980's and up.

If you are using a manual transmission or you are using 4WD and a transfercsae then you could find one with speedometer cable hook up, most 1997 and earlier had speedo cable hook up but had a Speed sensor in place of the cable, and that transmission mounted speed sensor(VSS) could work by wring it directly to speedometer, by-passing GEM.
If speedo is off because of tire size or axle ratio you just need to change the gear on this speedo cable hook up to match what you have, like the old days :)
Thanks That what I needed joey!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals