• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Converting 98 Ranger to 01+ front end

Justion337

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My front bumper is in need of replacement and the pitiful headlights are nearly useless, so I was thinking of just updating the whole front while I'm at it. I'm wondering, can still use the hood and fenders from my 98? That would make it much easier on my wallet.

amacadams

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I completed a front end swap/update from a '99 XLT to an '05 FX4 in December. Do a search and you'll find extensive how-to guides complete with pictures on this swap, which is fairly straightforward. However, a quick answer to your question would be:
YES, you can reuse your fenders.
MAYBE you can reuse your hood: Depends on the front end year you decide to go with. And if you want an '04+ front you'll need to replace the header panel as well.
amac

Justion337

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The parts I really want are the updated headlights and the honeycomb grill. I know the '01 hood has an accent groove in the center and my '98 is smooth. I'd like to reuse what I can since the bumper has the only rusty on the body.

Last edited:

amacadams

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The accent groove in the center is just cosmetic: the major difference is the front lip/edge shape of the newer "power dome" hood design. If you go with a 2001-2003 front end (headlights, grille) you should be able to keep your current hood with only a negligible gap. There was a honeycomb grille with this setup and you don't have to add a new header panel to make it work. Check out these links for more info (if they don't work search google for "Ford ranger front end swap guide" for all the info you need):

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/14230-front-swap-guide-1998-2000-a.html

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31562

Good luck.
Amac

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Flat hoods were very common on Rangers up to 03. They came with a different grille shell with an eggcrate insert rather than the honeycomb and it's grille shell.

IF you don't want to switch hoods, or can't find a power dome/Edge hood, then you can put the honeycomb insert into the surround designed for the eggcrate/flat hood combo.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals