• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starter problems many times

Cerewis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1987 Ranger 4x4 with manual trans and 2.9 engine. Since May of this year I have replaced the starter 5 times. #1 lasted 2 weeks, #2 lasted 1 wk. #3 lasted 2 wk. #4 lasted 3 months. #5 lasted 2 days. When the starter goes I hear a grinding noise like the starter drive is not engaging for enough or to for. When tested the starters seem to be working properly. WHAT COULD BE WRONG??????? PLEASE

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Sounds like the bendix drive isn't fully connecting with the ring gear on the flywheel.

How do the teeth on the flywheel look? They may be worn out.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^^

Welcome to TRS :)

Remove inspection plate on bottom of bellhousing and look at the Ring Gear, the gear that the starter motor needs to engage to turn the engine over.

Also starter motor gears are not all the same, manual trans and automatics often need different gears on the starter motor, because flywheel and flexplate ring gears are different or at a different place for best engagement.
And some starter motors need to be shimmed, pulled out a bit so they engage but don't "hit" the ring gear.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've had the same problem with an 89 2.9/5-speed standard. I never did figure out the problem. Using the goggle search bar at the top right of this page will return better results than the native search bar. However, I just r+r'd the 4.0 in my 94 ranger. The first time I put it together the metal plate between the motor and trans slipped a little and I had a bitch of a time getting the starter back in. The second time I put the motor in I made sure the plate didn't move out of place and the starter went in much easier. I wonder if the 2.9's had the plate out of alignment from the factory? I also noticed that, of the three 4.0 plates that I have, one had little tabs that would hook into the bottom of the oil pan to keep alignment, the other two did not. No real help with my post...just some thought on a possible reason for the 2.9 starter eating "bendix" [called "over running clutch drive" in fordspeak] drives.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals