• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 2.9 to 4.0 swap.

stroked88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6 245 CID
Transmission
Manual
Here is the story of my 2.9 to 4.0 swap. I plan on going pretty in depth with the issues I had come across to help a fellow RBV enthusiast out in order to alleviate some of the hassle that I dealt with. Comments and $.02, very welcome as well as opinions. :icon_welder:

stroked88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6 245 CID
Transmission
Manual
I will also be including as many pictures as well.

stroked88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6 245 CID
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so the two pictures below are the start of the reason why I decided to put my 88 ranger back on the road.

IMG_3904.jpg

IMG_3809.jpg

I had posted my 90 ranger on Craigslist for sale or trade for something similar in value and A guy replied to my ad saying he had a gokart to trade. He thought to himself "this guy is going to tell me to **** myself but what the hey, ill ask him anyway" Turns out, he was the one that had the most bad ass gokart I have ever seen, and I saw his ad before and wanted it but I didnt have what he was asking. Long story short, I traded my ranger for this badass toy for my kids and I. My wife was pissed at first because I had traded my DD for a toy. My 88 Ranger was sitting in the garage waiting for a 1 Ton SAS with a cummins 6BT. I thought to myself, hey I have all these parts to put my project together from all the explorers I parted out. And that is when the plans started coming to me....

stroked88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6 245 CID
Transmission
Manual
This is the donor engine I got from another guy off Craigslist for trading him some tools. In the previous pic of the blue ranger you can see all the parts I got from the deal... This engine sat for about a year before I did anything to it.IMG_3813.jpg

stroked88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6 245 CID
Transmission
Manual
I decided to sand the paint off the truck in order to roll on the Durabak bedliner, what I did sand off took a while so i think im going to just rough up the paint and then go to town.

Attachments

stroked88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6 245 CID
Transmission
Manual
The donor vehicle and the process of removing the engine. I had to use a different block because the number 3 cylinder lost a bearing. I did use the remaining parts though. I picked up the explorer for 500 bucks. Not bad in my opinion.

IMG_3917.jpg

IMG_3925.jpg

IMG_3926.jpg

IMG_3927.jpg

IMG_3928.jpg

IMG_3929.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals