• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PLEASE HELP 93 ford ranger engine codes

pos ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay bare with me because I see all over the internet these question are everywhere. I hate to bring something up that may have already been addressed.

My 93 ford ranger has a 4.0 v6, Manual transmission, standard cab body. when i first got the truck it was doing the notorious power loss. I replaced every sensor (EVERY). It continued throwing a code for Egr valve which my model has no egr valve anywhere (not new to mechanics and i do know what i am looking for) So finally i took the computer out and found a couple burnt out resistors. so i bought the new computer. The exact same one that came out F37F-12A650-Tc. And now it idles rougher than it did before and its throwing several codes 114 which I know this one isn't much to worry about with the engine not running, 629 Torque converter clutch failure (mind you it is a Manual trans), 566 Transmission 3/4 shift solenoid.circuit transmission (once again i have a Manual transmission) and finally code 157 Mass air flow sensor low voltage which is a brand new Maf this one i can return and try a new one no big deal at the moment but my problem is the damn auto transmission codes on my Manual transmission with a the same computer code from the factory.

any help would be greatly appreciated

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
F37F-12A650-TC

F37F = 1993 Ranger
F = 199x
3 = 1993
7 = Ranger
F = engine component

12A650 = generic Ford Part number for a PCM(computer), same for any Ford PCM car or truck

TC is revision number

There should be a Larger 4 digit code usually 3 letters and 1 number on the PCM, this same number should also be on a Label in the passenger door jam.
That's the number you should check

It reads like you have a California PCM so has EGR test, and it is for an automatic.
And MAF code could be the PCM is not for 4.0l

Rough idle on a newly installed PCM is not uncommon, I would drive it for a few days and let PCM learn engine sensors, although the MAF code could be the issue.

Last edited:

pos ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
it says nap2 that is the same as my old one as well. everything i have looked through autozone advanced and what the internet has to offer says that particular ecm is what i need

States Federal emissions, 4.0 Manual transmission. The computer i took out is factory and i know for a fact it has never been replaced. idle did clear up slightly i will try to clean maf sensor and see if that helps. any other ideas are appreciated thanks

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Your trouble codes fit a Calif. ECM for an automatic, so I am puzzled as well.

pos ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i know its starting to piss me off. the body of the truck has the same Nap2 code which is the same as my ECM but my truck is definitely a Manual and i know it has never been swapped so i don't know anymore have let it run for a while and still no change.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Seem like you have an automatic computer now, but no EGR code??

Back to the original issue, the power loss.
Common issue for this on older vehicles is:
Blocked exhaust, try vacuum test

Low fuel pressure, fuel pressure test

Low compression, compression test, 4.0l has 9:1 ratio so should be above 150psi, mine runs 160-170psi with 300k miles, at sea level

Lack of spark advance, use timing light to see if spark is advancing when engine RPMs change, '93 4.0l will use EDIS-6 module on Rad support, this sets basic timing, computer adds advance, but I think EDIS module can do this as well without computer input, just not as good at it.

Last edited:

pos ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
problem solved

Ok so origionaly like I stated had the same problem alot of people here have. Truck runs fine for about 6 miles and then looses all power but stays running. Apply gas and it sputters and back fires constently. apply light gas and it runs steady but with no power.

Fixed with New ecm. And began throwing those weird codes. Idk why but it did. I took my already new Maf back to the store and swapped for another new one. Now no check engine light runs like a top. No longer having to cus and swear my truck home.

Thanks For the help and ideas. people having similar problem please look at ecu will save lot of time and money.

Thanks
Matthew Harshbarger

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals