• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

evap system not completing and gas pump turning off

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am having an issue with the 2004 in my sig. New motor installed from an 09 a week ago. I have never driven the truck until the motor was put in so I am not familiar with any previous issue. The truck had a 5 month old current inspection sticker on it when I bought it with the bad engine(timing chain failure) I have driven it for about a 6 days and 300 miles. The evap system will not complete. I have no codes. I also noticed that the gas station pump will shut off when filling the tank. I have to fill it slower to keep it from shutting off. my guess is that the 2 are related. It's been pouring out for 2 days so have not had a chance to look it over very well. I did look under the hood and the hose from the Tb to the solenoid on the drivers fender is connected along with the hose that runs to the back of the truck from the solenoid. I own an air compressor if needed. all thoughts are encouraged.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
EVAP system will often fail test if below 30% full and over 70% full, just FYI.

Slow fill could be related to EVAP test failure if vents are clogged.
But first look at filler hose, they can get a slight twist that doesn't look like much but will cause the slow fill issue, loosen clamp at the tank end turn hose, retighten.

I believe there is a fuel tank vent hose that opens when key is off, then closes when key is on to allow EVAP system to work.
This vent hose/solenoid is by the fuel tank and can get clogged with debris so tank can't vent air as fuel is added, this could also cause EVAP test to fail.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
EVAP system will often fail test if below 30% full and over 70% full, just FYI.

Slow fill could be related to EVAP test failure if vents are clogged.
But first look at filler hose, they can get a slight twist that doesn't look like much but will cause the slow fill issue, loosen clamp at the tank end turn hose, retighten.

I believe there is a fuel tank vent hose that opens when key is off, then closes when key is on to allow EVAP system to work.
This vent hose/solenoid is by the fuel tank and can get clogged with debris so tank can't vent air as fuel is added, this could also cause EVAP test to fail.
thanks Ron. The fuel filler and vent for the filler appear to be a straight shot to a 90 fitting and into the tank. they look OK. As soon as it is dry out I will crawl under and take a look at the canister. I have a compressor and I might try and blow threw some of the lines and see if that helps. If it doesn't complete hopefully it will throw a code to help narrow it down.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I removed the filler vent and blew air through it. I also removed the hose and the canister and blew air through that. It seems to fill up better now. Only stopped once out of 3 refuelings. The system is still not ready abd there are no codes after 600 miles. What could make it not complete and not throw a code?

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Get it to half a tank, reset the computer, leave it sit for two days undisturbed. That should be enough to set the evap monitor. It is the only one that can run with the key off.

If it doesn't set after that you may need to take it somewhere that can run an on-demand evap-test.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thx adsm. I'll report back after I do it.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Get it to half a tank, reset the computer, leave it sit for two days undisturbed. That should be enough to set the evap monitor. It is the only one that can run with the key off.

If it doesn't set after that you may need to take it somewhere that can run an on-demand evap-test.
SUCCESS!

Thanks Adsm08 and RonD. I reset the puter with my scanner and let it sit for 2 days. Then over the next week I made a few 20 mile highway trips starting from a stone cold truck. Just today on about the 4th trip the evap system completed. Waiting on line as we speak to get the truck inspected.

Thanks again!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals