• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Chatter/Rattle Upon Acceleration at Top End of Shifting Range

jerwuore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
2002 Ranger Supercab 4WD XLT 4.0L, auto transmission (model unknown), 232500 miles

Upon moderate to heavy acceleration, at the top end of third gear, just before shifting into fourth, there is a fairly quiet chattering sound that immediately stops after fourth engages (engagement is sometimes a bit rough but usually pretty smooth). This does not happen at any other stage of shifting. It has not seemed to get any worse over the course of 5,000 miles or so. Just wondering if this is something to worry about - sign of impending doom?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

A 2002 Ranger will have the 4.0l SOHC engine, Rangers got them in 2001 but Explorers started getting them in 1997.
The 1997 to 2004/5 4.0l SOHC engines had a problem with timing chain tensioners, they have 3 of them.
The tensioners would loose tension and allow the chains to beat on the guides and the guides would start to break apart.
This would cause a rattling noise at higher RPMs and eventually at most RPMs.
Tensioners used oil pressure, so common time for rattle is also at startup before engine has full oil pressure.

Bad news is the engine needs to be pulled out to replace rear timing chain and guides.

Above is the most like source of the rattle, noise.

Transmission rattle probably could happen just never ran across that before
You have a 5R55E automatic in a 2002 Ranger with 4.0l

jerwuore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS :)

A 2002 Ranger will have the 4.0l SOHC engine, Rangers got them in 2001 but Explorers started getting them in 1997.
The 1997 to 2004/5 4.0l SOHC engines had a problem with timing chain tensioners, they have 3 of them.
The tensioners would loose tension and allow the chains to beat on the guides and the guides would start to break apart.
This would cause a rattling noise at higher RPMs and eventually at most RPMs.
Tensioners used oil pressure, so common time for rattle is also at startup before engine has full oil pressure.

Bad news is the engine needs to be pulled out to replace rear timing chain and guides.

Above is the most like source of the rattle, noise.

Transmission rattle probably could happen just never ran across that before
You have a 5R55E automatic in a 2002 Ranger with 4.0l
Thanks for the helpful reply to a first-timer! (I had an account here at one time but I can't figure out what happened to it.)

I have been concerned about the timing chains, as replacement is long overdue and considering this truck's point in life I would more likely sell it to someone who wants to take that job on. But I didn't really make the connection that the chains/tensioners could be the cause of this symptom. So I guess for now this one shifting point must be the only time the RPMs are high enough to cause the rattle? Makes a lot of sense now that I think of it... I will have to pay more attention to the tach.

Well, this may be the deciding factor in whether I'll need to get a new tow vehicle this summer. :)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The two tensioners that were most common failure points are the two that can be changed with little disassembly, and worthwhile to at least try.
Passenger side toward the rear of the block, below exhaust manifold
Drivers side toward the front, above intake

There are how-to videos on both, this is one: www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5mI-ah4qRQ

jerwuore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
But even if I have these replaced (wouldn't be doing it myself, but I know a guy), if there is already a rattle, wouldn't that probably mean the damage to chains and guides has already been done?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals