• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stacking clutches in ford 10.5"?

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
So I got a 03 10.5" and a matching d60 hp to throw under the ranger eventually. However I don't have a lot to spare between tires suspension steering and gears, so I was wondering what everyone's take is on throwing an extra 1 or 2 clutches into the trac lok unit in the 10.5". Is that feasible will it make it lock up harder and still be able to slip when turning? Or even shimming the pack a little thicker? I don't want to weld because it would murder my tires which aren't gonna be cheap... Plan on running 42s. Also for the front does anyone know of a junkyard posi unit I can grab out of a d60 rear and throw it in the front? The 60 I got is not the "super 60" it's the 03 leaf sprung with 35 spline inners and 30 spline outers.

Btw this is defenitely not long term, eventually I want to get an Arb for the front and a Detroit mechanical locker out back. Just trying to see if I can save a few bucks for the meantime or should I just deal with the posi that I got and the open diff up front for now.. Thanks guys

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I got a 03 10.5" and a matching d60 hp to throw under the ranger eventually. However I don't have a lot to spare between tires suspension steering and gears, so I was wondering what everyone's take is on throwing an extra 1 or 2 clutches into the trac lok unit in the 10.5". Is that feasible will it make it lock up harder and still be able to slip when turning? Or even shimming the pack a little thicker? I don't want to weld because it would murder my tires which aren't gonna be cheap... Plan on running 42s. Also for the front does anyone know of a junkyard posi unit I can grab out of a d60 rear and throw it in the front? The 60 I got is not the "super 60" it's the 03 leaf sprung with 35 spline inners and 30 spline outers.

Btw this is defenitely not long term, eventually I want to get an Arb for the front and a Detroit mechanical locker out back. Just trying to see if I can save a few bucks for the meantime or should I just deal with the posi that I got and the open diff up front for now.. Thanks guys
in my 8.8 i superpacked the limited slip, i would hands down do it again. i did not put any limited slip modifier in it to see how it would drive. i never even notice it, not even in parking lots, i dont get any chatter or squelling, not even on hot days.

however if it rains and your not careful youll do a drift. ive noticed that in any situation other than dry roads it acts like a spool. it pushes to the outside on long corners, in the gravel you can feel it trying to spin on tight corners. itll light up both tires if you want it to (no 1 wheel peel). it leaves marks on any surface thats not pavement.

so that being said, no it hasnt torn up my tires, yes it drives like a locked rear end, no it doesnt make noise, but yes i know its there. drive cautisouly as you should with big tires and youll be happy. im not sure what the bias ratio is but from reading i suspect 3.5:1 - 4:1. if i flex it out and get a rear tire off the ground it will still keep trying to turn the not lifted tire that has all the traction.

if you punch it in the rain or even hardly get on it taking a 90 from a stop in the rain, your gonna need to counter steer. i really do think that its the best of both worlds other than this problem.

my plan like you is to super pack a 10.5 and weld the 60 , then run 1 hub unlocked in the winter, untill i buy selectables.

as far as the limited slip front, im pretty positive itll work, i know that we have put a rear 60 limited slip in a front and it worked, but it wasnt ford axles. if the part numbers are the same (im sure they are) then it should work, and i would super pack that one too.

on a plus side they should break free before breaking any parts. not that you will have the problem with one tons

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
in my 8.8 i superpacked the limited slip, i would hands down do it again. i did not put any limited slip modifier in it to see how it would drive. i never even notice it, not even in parking lots, i dont get any chatter or squelling, not even on hot days.

however if it rains and your not careful youll do a drift. ive noticed that in any situation other than dry roads it acts like a spool. it pushes to the outside on long corners, in the gravel you can feel it trying to spin on tight corners. itll light up both tires if you want it to (no 1 wheel peel). it leaves marks on any surface thats not pavement.

so that being said, no it hasnt torn up my tires, yes it drives like a locked rear end, no it doesnt make noise, but yes i know its there. drive cautisouly as you should with big tires and youll be happy. im not sure what the bias ratio is but from reading i suspect 3.5:1 - 4:1. if i flex it out and get a rear tire off the ground it will still keep trying to turn the not lifted tire that has all the traction.

if you punch it in the rain or even hardly get on it taking a 90 from a stop in the rain, your gonna need to counter steer. i really do think that its the best of both worlds other than this problem.

my plan like you is to super pack a 10.5 and weld the 60 , then run 1 hub unlocked in the winter, untill i buy selectables.

as far as the limited slip front, im pretty positive itll work, i know that we have put a rear 60 limited slip in a front and it worked, but it wasnt ford axles. if the part numbers are the same (im sure they are) then it should work, and i would super pack that one too.

on a plus side they should break free before breaking any parts. not that you will have the problem with one tons

Awesome exactly what I wanted to hear man, just curious how many more shims and/or clutches did you add to the pack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Awesome exactly what I wanted to hear man, just curious how many more shims and/or clutches did you add to the pack?

the order they are in originally they have 2 steel disks next to each other so it will slip, i changed it up so it would lock up harder, and it eliminated a steel disk.

originally its = c/pp/c/pp/c
super packed = c/p/c/p/c/p/c

7 disks per side total, so i added 1 clutch per side.

threads i read say to pull a clutch from the old stack and add it to the new one. oddly enough i had enough clutches from the new stack that i bought...

from my measurements it took up about an 1/8" of space, but its hard to tell. i think that the clutches must be thicker than the plates because of the material. i still have my old ones, ill have to measure them. cuz now im curious.

i had to use needle nose vice grips and a hammer to put the spring back in, and a hammer and screw driver to get the spider gears and pin back in... they ussually all just slide in.

read about half way down. and compare the pictures.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150472&page=2

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
7 disks per side total, so i added 1 clutch per side.

threads i read say to pull a clutch from the old stack and add it to the new one. oddly enough i had enough clutches from the new stack that i bought...
I did the same thing, my kit required reusing no old disks too. I soaked the clutches in the special goo like you are supposed to and added it to the oil though.

It works great. :icon_thumby:

No mercy if it is slick out though. In 2wd it is very happy to kick the rear out.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did the same thing, my kit required reusing no old disks too. I soaked the clutches in the special goo like you are supposed to and added it to the oil though.

It works great. :icon_thumby:

No mercy if it is slick out though. In 2wd it is very happy to kick the rear out.
i only soaked mine in gear oil for an hour before the install. good to know that adding lsd additive makes no change. i had thought about adding the bottle i bought but wasnt sure if i would get any more driveability out of it.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
The 10.5 has the clutches stacked like that from the factory, haven't pulled this one apart but the other one I rebuilt was like that..

Spring washer/p/c/p/c/p and the it connects to the spider and then does that on the other side... I think there might be some more clutches/steels can't remember.. Then it bolts together. I'll have to open it up and see what I can do with it

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 10.5 has the clutches stacked like that from the factory, haven't pulled this one apart but the other one I rebuilt was like that..

Spring washer/p/c/p/c/p and the it connects to the spider and then does that on the other side... I think there might be some more clutches/steels can't remember.. Then it bolts together. I'll have to open it up and see what I can do with it

weird

you might check the nissan forums. lockers and gears for those trucks are stupid expensive so those guys are huge into super packing there limited slips, im pretty sure they HAVE to add a clutch/steel.

if there are more plates than clutches i would change that, like say if it starts with a plate instead of a clutch, then i would start with a clutch instead. if all else fails just run the new clutch pack without limited slip modifier. i have read some cases where people have not soaked there clutches at all and put them in, and they said it sounded like they left a wrench in the diff untill they put some modifier in and it soaked thoroughly.

iether way you should be able to atleast add a washer or something to make it tighter

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i only soaked mine in gear oil for an hour before the install. good to know that adding lsd additive makes no change. i had thought about adding the bottle i bought but wasnt sure if i would get any more driveability out of it.
I had heard if you didn't have the stuff it can rip the clutch lining off the plates.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had heard if you didn't have the stuff it can rip the clutch lining off the plates.
i wouldnt doubt it, thats probably where that "left a wrench in the diff" part comes from.

on a side note, every store i went to i looked for fluids without the additive, on the front they all said normal, but on the back it said it was fine for limited slips, but then the bottle next to it said limited slip additive right on it...so i could be running the additive or not, idk, kind of confusing.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i wouldnt doubt it, thats probably where that "left a wrench in the diff" part comes from.

on a side note, every store i went to i looked for fluids without the additive, on the front they all said normal, but on the back it said it was fine for limited slips, but then the bottle next to it said limited slip additive right on it...so i could be running the additive or not, idk, kind of confusing.
A lot of gear oil has the additive in it anymore.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A lot of gear oil has the additive in it anymore.
seeing as how it wont hurt a open diff, i dont see why not. makes it easier for the generic application.

i did however see that the amsoil and lucas brands did not have the additive. but at 3x the price i wasnt going that route.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals