• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Well WTH??

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
OK, a lot of you know how the lower end trucks didn't come with rear speakers or even the wiring for them, well I discovered that my 96 apparently didn't come with wiring for the fronts either!! According to the door sticker, it didn't even come with a radio, but I have wiring in the dash for one. Why the hell would Ford inc. wiring for the radio but no wiring in the doors for the speakers?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The radio harness is probably attached to some other harness (for gauges, airbags, computer, etc) and it was probably easier for them to just leave the radio harness instead of ordering a completely different harness for the <1% of Rangers sold that didn't have radios.

wiesket

SsgtUSMC
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
Factory
Tire Size
p235 75 r15
My credo
Guaranteed to work until it stop!!!!!
The connections for the radio is standard in the wiring harness. Order a radio and you get the speaker connections. They just plug into the connections that are in the wiring harness. My 94 was one of those that the original owner ordered without a radio. Was used for delivering Steak and Sea Food, part of a small fleet of Rangers the owner had. When I got it one of the owners employees had added one of those cheap and dirty radio/cassette combos and hacked the harness all up. When I replaced the the harness from a donor truck I found that all the connections were there, got the rest of the harness from my local pull n pay and installed both front and back speakers the proper way. Was probably a cost saving measure by Ford. Easier to have one generic harness then to have numberous specific harnesses!!!!!

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, it makes sense now. I'm glad I wasn't the one that had to figure that out, crawl under the dash and find the 2 wires to cut on each side to wire the door speakers into the stock harness, for the rears they just ran some generic wire directly into the HU. at least they did it the right way, used a harness adapter, wired all the wires up with some insulated crimp sleeves, even the wires that aren't used are capped off.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals