• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

6x9 Speakers

csampson311

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Im looking to upgrade my audio system in my Ranger this week. I already installed a kenwood headunit along with an alpine 2channel amp and 10in. Sub. I want to complete it with some component speaker because mine are practically blown now. I would love to put 6x9s in but I know stock is 6x8. Theres an ebay bid thats about to close so before I bid I want to make sure it can be done (if any one has tried yet). Please let me know what you guys think. If not I may just get them an try and make them fit and post it here. :icon_confused:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Fwiw the stocking speakers are 5x7(slightly smaller for stock size when compared to an aftermarket 5x7/6x8), now 5x7 and 6x8 aftermarket speakers are the same.
I had to enlarge my opening for the Memphis 6x8's in my b2 and I know there's not room for 6x9's.

I don't know how that applies to a ranger or if it does. Just do some measuring to see if you can enlarge the opening that much.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I have Pioneer 3-Way 6"x8" speakers and I love them. If I were you, I'd go look around www.crutchfield.com. IMHO, it is the best place for car/truck audio. They have extreme dedications to make sure customers are happy.

Also, I'd recommend installing speaker baffles from Crutchfield as well. The cut down vibration, protect the speakers from any water that may get in the door, and stop sound from resonating through the door and channel it into the cab (helps with bass and lower tones).

csampson311

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Cool thanks you guys for the tips. I tore my door apart right before school this morning to take a look. I'm pretty sure I can notch it out about 1/2" on top and bottom. Haha I've done this before on my old VW that was only supposed to house 4x6" so this should be easy.

Attachments

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Crutchfield is probably the most expensive place to buy from. I use there website to find what I want then do a search for the best price. You can a specific speaker without all the extra markup online if you take a few minutes to look.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Look for coupon codes too. You can get some pretty sweet deals that way

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
I have 4 kicker KS68 6x8 Speakers in my truck and absolutely love them!!

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
you can trim the doors slightly and fit 6x9's no problem, if you have a single cab 6x9 wont fit in the rear but if you have and ext cab you can trim to fit 6x9's same as the door speakers

csampson311

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I ended up just getting 3 ways pioneers 6x8's. They were free and from what everyone is saying the Pioneers are pretty good :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals